Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Got_the_tshirt
Senior Contributor

COVID changes triggering acute symptoms

Today is the worst day I have had for a while. By miles!

I sort of knew it was coming, because social sport and connectivity was such a crucial part of my coping strategy.

But now it's here, and it hurts. A lot.

I'm in the acute space of pain and symptoms, where all I've learned about self care and coping mechanisms have virtually no impact. There's no "solution" per se, other than just trying to ride it out and hope that things improve. But atm every minute seems like an hour - the more it hurts, the slower time passes.

What's worse, is that as a family we're probably in far better shape than many others right now - and I'm certainly mindful that everyone is having unprecedented challenges right now - but that just adds guilt.... that I shouldn't be feeling this bad when there are doubtless many worse off than me.

But I suppose that is depression's great trick - it even turns good things against you when it's really got its teeth into you. It dismantles logic, beats you up, and tells you that this is just the start and things are only going to get worse. 

Experience tells me to just ride the wave as best I can - as this will pass even if it doesn't feel like it right now - but it's very hard to cling to that message when depression is pounding you to a pulp.

I've normally posted for others, trying to offer support, understanding and ideas about how to cope. It feels silly to have done so when I can still be the one needing help. But I suppose that's ok - to offer help when you can, but ask for it when you need it?

Perhaps sharing my pain might help others who may also be struggling? To know that they are not alone. That they are not the only one who's hurting? That others are in pain, but also care about the pain of others (as well as their own). After all - we're all in this together right?

So if you're hurting right now, especially if like me you've been fairly decent for a while, please know that you're not the only one who has fallen off course (crashed might be more accurate!). Routine changes, isolation, financial and other uncertainty, fear, concern about covid19 and what it is doing to people - and what it might do - and how it might be affecting those close to you - and how long it might go for - are all significant triggers that, on reflection, are enough to throw anyone off balance. But if you have an existing mental illness, then such stressors are often significantly magnified, sometimes exponentially, and it's quite understandable that they may throw us of course - or into complete disarray. 

Thinking about it like that, and sharing this, has already helped me a little bit. Perhaps it's a good reminder that wherever possible we shouldn't suffer in silence - but share our pain, experience, and successes - in order to help each other navigate the present moment and whatever may ie ahead.

Thank you if you took the time to read this. Sending my best wishes th the SANE community and each of your families, friends and loved ones. 

Take care,

GTT

6 REPLIES 6

Re: COVID changes triggering acute symptoms

Hi there @Got_the_tshirt 

I am sorry to read that you are really hurting this evening. You so eloquently describe your experience of pain and it is so moving. We really hope that you are able to find some relief and comfort in the days ahead as this extraordinary COVID time of uncertainty continues. As you rightly point out it affects so many of us in challenging ways. Please keep yourself safe and reach out to the SANE Help Centre or the 24/7 help lines like Lifeline or Suicide Call back if talking to someone else would offer you assistance.

Take care

Whitehawk

Whitehawk

hi @Got_the_tshirt my first time posting and i really needed to hear your words. Sorry you are in pain too

Hi @Elsa , welcome aboard!

You're off to a great start! 

Thanks so much for your reply 🙏 . Helps a lot to know someone else feels similarly and that my post may have helped you. 

Sending my best wishes and support. Here if you need.

Take care,

GTT 

hi @Got_the_tshirt thanks for the warm welcome 

I feel ok this morning how are you travelling ? 

the uncertainty and the thoughts of what's going to happen, and my financial worries and basically all the other things you have mentioned are not as strong today for me. @Whitehawk was right, your first post so eloquently described what a lot of people might feel right now. 

Hi @Elsa , 

My pleasure, glad you're feeling ok!

I'm feeling better thank you. Just putting the post out there - collecting my thoughts and sharing - helped a lot. Having people acknowledge my post, and also reply and suggest others may feel the same way was good too. (Not good that others might be feeling poorly, but that I wasn't the only one!).

It's tough times for everyone - and part of my worry was saying I was struggling when so many people no doubt are worse off than me. But I think that it's important, now more than ever, that any of us struggling should reach out - it doesn't mean we're being disrespectful or dismissive of other people's worries, stresses, pain etc - provided we're mindful of, and compassionate towards, everyone else too - and offer them what support we can when we're able.

Kindness and connection really are amazingly powerful.

My biggest struggle is the routine change - particularly losing social team sport. I normally play a couple of times a week and the exercise, but more importantly the connection to others, are extremely helpful for my mental health. Losing those exacerbated my symptoms. On reflection it's also almost been a grieving process of sorts - losing something that was central to my wellbeing. But sharing my discomfort  (and getting past the initial shock to the system perhaps??) has allowed me to look for alternatives to fill the void. One will probably spending more time on this forum.

Thanks again for listening. 

Best wishes and take care,

GTT 

To ..Got the last T shirt       Yes know exactly what you are experiencing . I had several weeks of a difficult depression ,which I got over by myself ,only rang the shrink once. Did a lot of crying ,which I hate doing.  Makes me feel inadequate, but couldn't help it.  Came good after about 4 weeks.       Been feeling good even smugg, I was over it.  Thought all was going to be well,I was going to get through the last of winter,go into spring and summer without a hitch.   WRONG.. The black dog is back.   Mine is being triggered by the media,you can't get away from it.        Sitting in the sunshine helps,if you can get it. No sunshine here for days ,raining ,raining.  We need rain but for some of us, it is not good.   I make sure I do not eat junk food, I occupy my mind while in forced withdrawal to bed with selected DVDs, selected radio and tv programmes . No visitors, hate visitors.  Wont answer the phone, hate the phone ringing. Leave it out of earshot, look at who called later and call back if necessary.    Get out of bed 2 mornings a week ,my husband takes me shopping ,to the library and the post office.    Drink lots of tea, no alcohol.(worst thing out for depression) cuddle my cats.  Don't Twitter or Facebook that exacerbate the anxiety,tension and depression.   When I get desperate and need to let go of the emotional pain and fear , I take a look at SANE forum and jot down my feelings.  It helps more than I realise .  Thank you Sane forum,you have saved my sanity many a time.  GTLTS hope you get over it soon    jay2

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance