Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

asdfge
Senior Contributor

stigma question

Can stigma become a motivator for the supposed recovery of a mental illness? As in, if you are disliked because of stigma, can this motivate an undiagnosis? Or, is it definitely true that all undianoses are meant sincerely, and from a place of honesty?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: stigma question

It can be a fine line between "passing" and recovery. It's an important difference and I think the main guide for that difference is you. Function is a criteria. Happiness index is the criteria.

Hi 🌞

Stigma can motivate me to dig deep and rise above some people's small and  uneducated mindlessness, it's easy to get caught in the useless trap of wanting to argue my point. Reality is they don't really care anyway! There's many other people out there that truly want to listen and understand Mental Health issues.

I've found acceptance, education of my Illness and awareness of my early warning signs a solid foundation for recovery.

Hope this was following your thread for you question.

@wellwellwellnez 

Interesting that you bring up 'passing'. That is something that I hadn't considered but which makes so much sense! 

Meggle

I feel like how your recovery journey takes place is completely up to you.

Personally, I want to recover so I can have a meaningful life. Stigma is a huge problem but it's other people's problem to me. I just won't tell certain people my diagnosis unless they are a worthy person. 

I am also mindful that I do not want to create an identity out of my mental health diagnosis and that if I over identify with it, it could become problematic for me. I tend to say "I have a lot of emotions on account of childhood trauma" or "I experience mental health challenges on account of attachment issues and experiences I had when I was young" rather than say I have Borderline.

A diagnosis is just a collection of symptoms that are clustered together so clinical memtal health professionals can understand whatbtreatments might work. We are all individuals with a unique experience and differing presentations. 

@asdfge 

I would have done it for health and personal wellbeing, so you can be free to do as you wish without being bogged down by too much down times. 

I wouldn't be too bothered by stigma. If I am too concerned about other people's opinion, I'll end up with more mental health issues. But I am inclined to believe that most people are empathetic, so they would have been helpful rather than judgmental towards others' health issues. I work in the community sector so I mix a lot with people who care. 

I am always hoping that mental health issue is healable. Wish you a quick recovery!  Smiley Happy 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance