Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

new coping strategy...short story idea?

hi everyone

im wondering if anyone else writes like short stories to help cope with their mental illnesses?

i need some ideas to start me off, i have no idea what to write about but i thought id give this coping strategy ago as i havent had much success with much else

anyone have any ideas on where to start?

i thought about maybe writing an autobiography but alot of things that would be in there are very triggering so i dont really want to start there. im already journalling day by day 🙂

11 REPLIES 11

Re: new coping strategy...short story idea?

Hi @Former-Member,

Great idea to use writing as part of your mental health strategy. I have done a lot of writing in my life too, including journalling on a regular basis (not so much at present but daily for long periods in the past) and writing film scripts.

It seems you already know that you want to avoid triggering material, which seems wise. For some people it can be cathartic to write out dark things. For others it can just take them back into that darkness.

Aside from autobiography, what interests you? There are so many things in the world to write about aside from our own direct experience. I would suggest  hitting the blank page with a brainstorm of ideas from your own mind. Just write out anything that comes up, even if they are just words, images or sounds that are appealing to you. This may help unlock some further ideas about where you would like to take your short story.

Happy writing!

thanks @Mazarita

writng about dark stuff doesnt really work for me though at the end of each day i do a journal entry no matter how my day was so i can monitor over the months etc

umm i like nature, horses and animals in genral (except dogs), i like mysteries, the best thing that im best at writing about is in first person so kind of anything that requires an "eperience' or and 'event' i seem to be good at writing. google might come in handy for this actually

@Former-Member, cool! It sounds like animals could be a good starting point for you. Maybe a story that is about people who are represented by animals, including a main character that you could write in the first person. Have you ever read George Orwell's 'Animal Farm'? It works in that kind of way. This is just a random idea, of course, take or leave as you please. Sounds like you're already moving with new ideas on how to do it. Smiley Very Happy

@Former-Member

Check out this sight for eight animal story starters:

https://www.trevorhampel.com/eight-short-story-starters/

Zoe Smiley Happy

hi @Mazarita @Zoe7

thank you both for the ideas. ive been brainstorming abit today and come up with a few ideas just dont quite know the full story plots yet, but a few ideas for a few different stories 🙂

thanks @shabdaclinic

feel free to add in any of your ideas as well

im thinking maybe

1. a secret cottage

2. a story about a farm animal but from the view of the animal not the farmer

3. a story about a lost girl

4. love/romancey type story

@Former-Member, you already gave some freat ideas. Animal stories make great Children's books. Do you draw? I love Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter, Whinnie the Pooh, Lqdy & Tge Tramp... and who wrote Snugglepie & Cuddlepot?

I write too, mostly journalling and poetry but working on my autobiography & a novel (for years).

Autobiography's CAN be triggering as you say, good you're being self aware there - take your time. When I'm not up to facing padt hard times, i write about the 'light' or funny stuff (family trips, school capers, pets, weather events, baby bro.... ). Its not all bad (just seems that way with depression) - some things are quite funny when you look back so I take that approach. The crappy stuff can remain headings... actually, i write around thost things, they can be added any time. My Contents page is my plan on what to cover - point form, chronological - without detail. Like most things - Good prep is half the battle. Not sure I'll ever finish mine without adding some 'fiction' because I have big blanks in my childhood, years, but maybe I can get around that. Gosh, do you ever feel like you've lived 10 lifetimes? Think i got 10 books tucked away lol

Was just thinking today that some of these nightmares I have are very graphic, a little SciFi and would make great launching pads for big novels. This weeks nightmare - aliens in blue ships, were colonizing in the underground water cave system on our 10acre property.... litwrally flyi g padt our eindows... then, the world was coming to an end... which woke me up of cause. Crazy.

Anyway, leave you to it. Great thread xox

I write poetry when I need to express my dark feelings. It's also less confronting to other people I find. If you want to write about your feelings and experiences that is.

@Former-Member  Great idea.  I write. It's been one of my main outlets.  I'd suggest for what you are wanting .. choose the one closest to your heart. They all sound like great ideas.

If you hit a wall, try another one.  I've had lots of restarts so if that happens to you, just know it isn't unusual.  🙂  Hopefully it won't though, that could just be me.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance