Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Where in the world...

Really?

Entrance to the Marrakesh market

From my hotel balcony. The full Marrakesh Medina is huge and all undercover (see the awnings in the background). Rabbit warren I suppose might describe it. It has to be undercover to avoid the searing heat in summer.

Scan002.jpg

The 'burbs. There are streets in there. Only big enough for bicycles, motorbikes and donkey carts.  No glass in the windows and painted white to reflect the heat from the sun.

Scan003.jpg

Goats. And a minaret on the hill in the background. Call to prayer five times a day. Very unusual way to be woken in the morning (for a tourist).

You did ask Sandy.

I want to go there..right now.. What wonderful photos..thanks Jubilee..I see why Marrakesh entranced you.

I found lots of minarets in Switzerland too, cool! Never heard the call for prayer though when I was living there, too far away to hear it..

More pics please!!

Also be thinking the Medina could be where they shot Raiders Of The Lost Ark..

I have a unrequited passion for Georgia by the Black Sea...where West meets East, it is stunningly beautiful with a rich cultural heritage. Sadly, the country has been invaded many times as has its neighbours Ukraine, Armenia etc. it is with a deep ache that I know I shall never tread the mountains or walk the old town section of Tsilbi.

Hi Jubilee Johnson

I must have missed that one (hand holding mouth) yikes!

Although I can still taste the sweet mint tea, mmm.

ahh yes, the haunting sound of call to prayer. I also remember goat herders, goats and homes like those pictured, particularly on the long train ride from Casablanca to Marrakesh. Memories... what an amazing place huh?

Karma you are playing with my mind...2 different profile pics in one day? Head spinning!,😀😃

Yes. Sweet mint tea!

One of mine may have had 'additives' in it while I was 'persuaded' by a couple of 'gentlemen' to buy a very expensive (but very beautiful) pure wool carpet. The show they put on to make the sale was made it good value for money and a great story to boot.

It really is special this carpet. I think it was woven by artisan peasants in the Rif mountains.

Yes! The train ride to Casablanca too. This was many years ago, but I am still proud of making the return journey all the way to my Uncle's home in Koln Germany.

Non-stop, including sleeping in Tangier railway station with all the other '2nd class' travellers (and some of their animals). I think it took about 50 odd hours. Including the ferry trip across the Strait of Gibraltar, through Spain...and on.

Thank you Karma, for the memories.

And for Sandy, one more picture, (these are hard-copy, pre-digital so I have to scan them), because she asked so nicely, (and because all the other Morrocan ones I have are a bit boring. Actually, this one is pushing at that boundary):

Avenue Hassan ii.jpg

A thoroughfare named after a King.

A box of pins to anyone who can guess what this famous, not in Morocco, landmark is:

Landmark.jpg

Is it the Effiel tower @JubileeJohnson, an artistic versi...

Is it the Effiel tower @JubileeJohnson, an artistic version, maybe looking up??

If not, a clue please?

soz, thought no one would notice, you've caught me, hee hee

soz, thought no one would notice, you've caught me, hee hee

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance