Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

The meaning of life... on the Forums

Hi All,

With the Forums growing everyday, I'm starting to feel like it's growing up. Some of you may not know this, but the Forums were only officially launched in August last year. Some of you have been around for longer than this (during our development phase), while others have been around for shorter amounts of time. All of these experiences are what the make the community what it is today. It's been an absolute delight watching our litttle community grow. But it's got me thinking, who are we as community?

So I'm asking for your thoughts on this. What makes us a community? What are your thoughts on who we are as a collective group of people? And more importantly, have you got thoughts/ideas on how this community can make its mark in society?

Big questions, I know, but I'm curious on knowing who we are seeing we have grown a bit together. If you're not sure where to start perhaps you can just list the three first things that come to mind.  Here's mine:

1.) United by a common cause

2.) Friendships with people that 'get it'.

3.) Connection and support

I'm going to mention some members to get the ball rolling but I invite you to invite others who you think might like to join in @Alessandra1992 @kato@kristin @Former-Member @kenny66@peace@PeppiPatty@PeppiPatty@hiddenite@sara

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

CB

18 REPLIES 18

Re: The meaning of life... on the Forums

These are big questions @CherryBomb.

1) a place of safety

2) A place where you can be heard, and hear others, without fear of stigma

3)A place to share experiences and ideas so that we all grow

So well said @Former-Member - I don't think I could have said it any better. Smiley Very Happy

@CherryBomb

Cool questions, to be asked and answers that are to be seeked, from differential perspectives is were we all come to learn of our differnces and similarities, a bond that is formed from knowing others have been through, or are going through, something that is relateable.

whether it is sharing a common knowledge thought or idea, to some brain storming up new ways to keep us safe, how to deal with what is troubling us, or what gives us comfort.

The power of the forum and it's treadmark pattern it leaves, is something i have noticed in similarities, oft people come aboard and are swept away by the understanding of others, and the feeling of no longer being alone on the journey they are on.

It is an outlet for creativity, a resource for information, it is comfort from those without stigma, it is quite simply just being able to be heard, whether sure or confused, needing guidance, or offering our own interpretation.

I know what i have written will not like make a whole bunch of sense, but i do not fear being ridiculed for my different way of thinking, i do not fear, being judged for the things i have done or been through, i do not fear coming on here, with distorted ways of being, when sometimes we are a little lost, and our thinking can be quite confusing.

And all in all the entirety of this lived expierence basis, creates quite the enjoyable oasis from sometimes, we need to be able to express ourselves in the safety of other's who understand, who get it, who have been there and done it.

If need be i can rewrite this into not so much nonsense, but for me tonight this is the way my brain has decided, to write or speak or to interpret the question based upon it 🙂

Like i said cool question cherry, you always do have some good questions to make us stop sometimes and reflect and to think deeply into things, that sometimes are not seen so clearly

Awww @kato reading your response nearly brought a tear to my eye. Honestly, it's so moving to know that the Forums are doing something. You so eloquently named what that 'something' is.

Thank you.

Its pretty obvious that we all have a common purpose and interests but I think there are a couple of things that are a point of difference from othe clubs and societies, which really common ideas and aspirations.

The people on the forum are more honest than most people and expose parts of their persona, which are usually hidden in the general population.  Its pretty well laid bare.

I have never spoken more honestly or openly to anyone as I have on the Sane site. I have read things about various subjects on this site that I have never heard discussed with non MI people.

Being MI can make it very difficult to connect in the usual way to people. On occassion I count backwards out loud, mix up my words with the thought processes all over the place etc etc.

But on the site I seem to write somewhat coherently and can think clearly.

My impressions of our community are

We provide Insight to one another

We show that we have a value

We give each other confidence

Thanks @kenny66!

It's great to hear how the members are experiencing the Forums. You all explain it in a way that I would have not been able to. So grateful for everyone's thoughts on this so far.

I'd also like to invite @Crazy_Bug_Lady @SimpleAsThis @Neb @redhead @Aonaran @Troubled_One @Rosieto this conversation (I couldn't before because we can only tag 10 people at a time)

Im still pretty new to the forum, but so far I've sensed a great understanding that we have for one another, even if we have different diagnosis. I can come here and post my feelings without being judged or criticized for my MI or stigmatized because I have x diagnosis.

I'm a part of another forum for youth, but I have found this one just as helpful.

when Sane forums started, I felt quite defensive. I felt angry that yet another scheme, another plan would be launched that would certainly fail because of that slidey slide that goes WWHHOOSH after one little mistake.

It was definately a personal problem for me. I the past, I've joined groups. I would often do a lot of extra out of hours stuff like writing up papers, doing questionnaires etc. I would take them into the group and my work would be not be acknowledged. I felt ignored. After some time, of staying in the background, I would leave, certainly enriched but back at square one. no fulfilling "job," not knowing what to do with myself.

Life would go on.

I treasure some messages so much from so many people. I have my "favourite," people for the day or week. Some days, I obsess over a message....think about it. It would be on the back of my mind.....
One pointer I've written about is being a 'proud consumer.' It was taken onboard and people started writing about having the guts to access mental health agencies.

Sane forums is easy to read especially if it's positive .....LOVE the positivity. I am going to be selfish but it's good to read my older friends messages.....nah.....it's wonderful to read everyone's message!! It's safer to read and take onboard someone's stuff......you can respond and your input Helps someone.

I've pulled out all my old studies stuff from Psychotherapy and use it, all that old stuff I did for people in my former groups. It's worth having done it. someone is helping me which I wouldn't normally get and People are interested in what I write.
the work I've done in the past I worked out WAS worthwhile. My past is treasured more by me.

A/ feel more sure in yourself in the world from discussing your insecurities.

B / Trust that you can write ANYTHING and you will be taken seriously.

C/ True friends who get to know you inside. connect with who you really are.

Well for me the meaning of life,

Perhaps having fun, being well and getting along.Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance