Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Sick of NEGATIVITY.

I put this in Social Spaces, because it's off-topic, but it is very frustrating.

State of Origin ONE is tonight.

I was very annoyed that they moved it to Townsville, considering it's supposed to be an independent venue. Was NO other stadium in this great land available? Apart from that, I'm looking forward to it.

I believe that the Channel Nine commentary team has exclusive rights to the game. Even if you have Kayo, they use the Channel Nine broadcast.

The problem with that is, their commentators are relentlessly negative, especially around how the game is refereed.

Some games it seriously sounds like they're about to cry, and it's really not very enjoyable. I think commentators should have a role to play in promoting the game, rather than mourning it.

HOPEFULLY it all goes smoothly, but yeah.

I have noticed negativity in other areas of sport too.

NFL player Aaron Rodgers, for example, is unhappy with his contract, so he hasn't attended a couple of training sessions. It's still early in the offseason, though, so it's nothing to be overly worried about.

Green Bay Packers and other fans are losing their minds, though, and it is very irrational. They are basically convinced that he's leaving the team for good and catastrophising, even though it's completely unfounded at this point.

Rodgers is going to be replaced within the next five years by a player by the name of Jordan Love. Jordan Love is still really young and he's still learning. He's got YEARS to learn, but fans aren't willing to give him the time. If he misses one throw in practice, they're terrified for the future of the franchise.

I am reading a book now, and it's great, but in the same way, there's a lot of aggressive and negative language in it.

This is the last passage I read.

The truckies had bought their blocks of land when land was cheap, fuel was cheap, freight rates were good and they were young and paunchless. Now they couldn't see their [...] without a mirror, the trucks sucked fifty-dollar notes, the freight companies [...] them until they had to drive six days, some weeks seven, to make the repayments.

I am not a negative person, myself, but I can usually tolerate it. I think I understand it, but I have been seeing it so much in such a short period of time, that it just makes me angry. 

Some people need peppermint tea.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Sick of NEGATIVITY.

@Former-Member  I completely agree. WAAAAY too much negativity in the world and the worst part is that, buy and large, society seems intent on propagating it rather then curing it.

In recent years, I've noticed many times that people seem determined to maintain misery in the world and actually lash out at people who make strides in curing it. A truly horrifying realization, as I always just assumed that everyone hated misery as much as I did and was eager for it to be eradicated; we just lacked the know-how to accomplish it. But no, they want the misery maintained.

It completely up-ends your entire world view. How do you function in a society like that? How do you even begin to communicate with such alien creatures with such an alien mindset? How do you begin to fix the world? Is it even ethical to attempt to fix the world when it's residants apparently cherish the misery they are swimming in?

Nothing makes sense anymore. In truth, it never did, but I was too oblivious to see that.

I used to do my best to stifle misery and emit as much joy as I possibly could. My efforts were always shot down; my reputation and good name turned into something bleak and ugly. I've never been able to understand why. Is the world so overloaded with heros, and so lacking in monsters that it needs to generate another disturbing creep for the world to feel repulsion and contempt for?

I could never figure out what went wrong - and therefore what improvements I needed to make in order to become the fountain of delight I've always aspired to be. So I just quit trying. Mercifully, the world largely stopped demanding that I present myself for their public scorn and negativity.

I've spent about 25 years thinking almost exclusively about how to cure the world of it's misery/negativity, and I am still none the wiser. I guess the old saying: "you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped" is true. I just wish all those misery-guts' wouldn't drag everybody else down to hell with them.

@Former-Member wrote:

The problem with that is, their commentators are relentlessly negative, especially around how the game is refereed.

Some games it seriously sounds like they're about to cry, and it's really not very enjoyable. I think commentators should have a role to play in promoting the game, rather than mourning it.

HOPEFULLY it all goes smoothly, but yeah.

With regards specifically to your comments regarding footy commentators; I wouldn't mind betting that a large element of it is that they feel compelled to justify their own presence on the station payroll.

It doesn't exactly take a lot of brain power to just directly narrate a playfield your looking at; so maybe they feel like they need to offer critique on what they see in order to establish that they are actual, thinking human beings with something of value to contribute?

Did you ever see that movie "Galaxy Quest"? Sigourney Weaver spends basically the entire movie being infuriated because she has only one job: to re-narrate what the ship's computer tells her to say, whereas all the other cast members have meaningful roles to play in resolving whatever crisis they are in the midst of. It's a really funny movie and she plays out her predicament hilariously.

So maybe sports commentators are a bit like that: they don't want to just be mindless narrators or "yes men" - they want to contribute something.

Hello

@Former-Member @chibam 

Gosh people!! I'm surprised that you feel that way. Admittedly, I'm not much into the modern version of the Colosseum spectacles, minus the lions {unless you barrack for themSmiley LOL 🙂 } There must, apparently, be enough people who are, enraptured by, and excited to frenzy, by the verbal gymnastics and viewer presented antics of the commentary teams and others, at such venues, and on post performance analyses, to warrant there continuation. It brings in the dollars for “someone” and it would not continue if there were not a very real demand.

It is not the sport about which I speak, but some of the peripheral displays.

On the other hand, I've noticed that generally, people are becoming somewhat more analytical and less complacent about their existence. This is what I think to have been the case during the last half century, or so, over which time I have given consideration to such issues. It seems to me, because of various events during that time, and particularly recently, that people are actually thinking about the events in their lives, that effect them directly and indirectly, and any associated input and decisions, that they may make. The consideration seems to be more pragmatic, and less in the mindless manner of 'herd generated' copying of other people's thoughts and actions.

In fact, more than ever before, we actually have access to the information available, literally at our fingertips, to enable us to contribute to, and influence discussions, in almost all the spheres in which we may be interested.

Of which this Forum is, just one very real example.

As recently as the 1950's, “instant information” consisted in what could be printed in a brief note sent by telegram. For which purpose, you would have to go to the Post Office, have a clerk take the message, put on to the log of telegrams, sent “by wire”, and then delivered by the “telegram boy” on a bicycle. Morning sent, received afternoon, or next day, if there were no other blockage in the system.

These days, in the “digital age”, we can select, sift and sort information, on virtually any subject in which we may be interested, literally on the instant. We can communicate, with each other, almost anywhere in the world, for all practical purposes, at near the speed of light. And, as I write this note, I have a spellchecker available for my personal use and further education. Again “on the instant.” Any response to your observations takes more time to write, than any other factor in the process of your receiving a reply.

People, all over the world, are actually thinking outside the box with regard to their interactions. I have noticed this has applied to considerations about individual, community, intra-state and inter-state, national and international relationships.

People seem to be thinking about, and questioning, the value and importance of relationships with their counterparts in their own countries, and the other people and countries with whom they interact and engage. These considerations include communication and interaction on commercial, political, environmental, educational, scientific, social and other areas of involvement.

In fact, as a result of my more recent observations, I am actually becoming more, rather than less optimistic about the future.

Because of the virus and other restricting events, people seem keen to look outside their own closed-in environment. Sick and tired (sometimes literally, unfortunately) of being confined and restrained, both physically and mentally, they are looking to engage externally with others.

I don't know whether you might be persuaded to share my point of view. However, if we want to see change, I believe, that we have first, to be the instruments of the change that we wish to see come to fruition.

Not withstanding the possibility of human conflict, disease or cataclysmic events, through which our parents and grandparents, indeed everyone before us, has survived and thrived as a race. These thoughts and ideas are what gives me reason for hope and optimism, certainly for as long as I have still to live, and for the lives of my children and theirs as well.

With Optimism and Hope

My Very Best Wishes

HenryX

Hey @Former-Member 

It's cool to be negative these days.  If you go back to self-help books before the 70's, it was all about developing character and helping each other up and then we started down the road of being rich is the best thing in the world.  

I choose to live my life setting the example of helping others to get better, not helping others to doubt themselves because it matters most what I do and the example I lead, not what others do. 

@AussieRecharger 

Hi AussieRecharger,

I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly

Cheers

HenryX

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance