Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Re: Peer Group Chat // Contagious With Our Curiosity // Thursday 1st February 2024, 7-8:30PM AEDT

On Thursday 1st February 2023, we will be holding a Peer Group Chat on the topic of Contagious With Our Curiosity.

amber22_4-1706171798496.png

Curiosity might be thought of as a desire to know or learn more and may help us to discover new things. Join us to explore how curiosity might be beneficial for our mental health, and how we can cultivate curiosity within our lives. 

The event start times across Australia are below:

amber22_1-1706171549394.png

This is currently held in daylight savings hours:

WA: 4pm 
NT: 5:30pm

SA: 6:30pm 

QLD: 6pm

NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS: 7pm 

For anyone unfamiliar with Peer Group Chats, each focuses on a specific topic and is guided by Peer Workers with lived experience of mental health issues and recovery, &/or caring for someone with complex mental health. A counsellor is also present as a moderator to help ensure a safe environment for individuals and the group. It is a space for us as peers to share our stories and experiences, and connect with those who are going through something similar. 

Anyone is welcome to join! Tagging some members who may be interested below: @Snowie @scruffypuffball @7cough9 @Glisten @Blackbird11 @Shaz51 @Fiefke @Patches59 @Appleblossom @Meggle @Jacques @deshift @Captain24 @Cali_Rose 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Peer Group Chat // Contagious With Our Curiosity // Thursday 1st February 2024, 7-8:30PM AEDT

Heya...long time since I've been here but I would be interested too.

Hi Everyone, 

Just a reminder that the next Online Peer Group Chat on Contagious With Our Curiosity will take place tonight from 7-8:30pm AEDT.  As always, for ease of reference, times across Australia are in the graphic and listed below: 

TideisTurning_0-1706752765087.png

Western Australia: 4pm 

Northern Territory: 5:30pm 

South Australia: 6:30pm 

Queensland: 6pm 

New South Wales, Victoria, Australian Capital Territory & Tasmania: 7pm 

Tonight, you can expect discussion about

•  what curiosity might look like and when it might come up for each of us 
  •  the benefits curiosity may have on our mental health and how we might be able to nurture it 
  • why curiosity might be contagious

Tagging members who have supported or otherwise interacted with the thread so far as well as those who may be interested to receive a reminder @ButterflyWings @Snowie @Shaz51 @Hopefulsoul @Glisten @Cali_Rose @Birdofparadise8 @Fluttershy1 @Quilly @Loiter @Zoe7 @nula_ray @chibam @exploring @Patchworks @Patches59 @Kate15 @PeaceOfficer @Flowerlove22 @Jumbu @ZoZo94 @7cough9 @8ppleTree@Oaktree @Jacques 

@TideisTurning @amber22  I got curiosity by the ton. It was the basis for my Degree.

Just a reminder that our Peer Group Chat on Contagious With Our Curiosity will start in just 20 minutes at 7pm here! Everyone is welcome! See you then!

Tagging members who have supported or otherwise interacted with the thread so far as well as those who may be interested to receive a reminder: @Cali_Rose @Snowie @chibam @Shaz51 @Bill16 @Birdofparadise8 @Bow @Flowerlove22 @HardWork @Meggle @Meowmy @Pushka @SmilingGecko @StuF @creative_writer @Fluttershy1 @Acanthiza @Coco09 @DownTown @Lee81 @MermaidHair @Noodlepop @Rosie01 @Patches59 @outlander @saturnzoon @tonys @Glisten 

Hi Everyone, 

A recurring theme I noticed come up both during  the live event and my preparation for this topic,  was the idea and importance of childlike curiosity (more here). I'd be really curious to hear from anyone who would like to share; why my it be important to engage with a childlike sense of curiosity? Also, I'd love to hear any ideas you have for how you could engage or re-engage with a sense of childlike curiosity in your life?

@Snowie @ButterflyWings @Glisten @Oaktree @7cough9  @Hopefulsoul @chibam @PinkFlamingo @Zoe7 @nula_ray @Shaz51 @amber22 

Hey there @TideisTurning  🙂

Very interesting topic! 🌺

I am lucky enough to have brain damage that creates a natural state of child-like curiosity (that is, curiosity without the constraints of the complexities of social expectations, age-related expectations, and other limitations that come into play with being an adult when it comes to demonstrating and enacting a sense or actions of boundless curiosity and asking any questions).

In the way I use curiosity as a skill, I find it essential to approach many things with a purely curious point of view, without any other thoughts or assumptions pre-formed, as this facilitates the ability to absorb information without any filters in place, and seeing things for the way they are represented/representing themselves. Underneath this, it is also being curious to the notion of subtlety - is there something that I am missing, that is not obvious, that could be critical to how I interpret information 🙂

I use my brain for what it is now (as opposed to trying to use it in the way it used to be, because you cant fit a round peg in a square hole), and try to maximise the best bits I have found from the changes I have experienced, including being boldly unapologetic for being different, and having these traits; including being able to ask questions without any constraints of the complexity of being a grown up 🙌😀

@TideisTurning  Childlike curiosity - children don’t have filters. My favourite conversations are with my grandchildren before they get to age 5.

The conversations are many me asking them questions. What do you think about …?  Do ants have teeny tiny brains? To the point where Oscar says “Amma, you ask a lot of questions.”

I have an insatiable curiosity. The more I learn, the more I realise I don’t know.

G

@PinkFlamingo, I'm glad there's been that benefit for you of being able to stay in touch with the natural sense of childlike curiosity. I also like  how you described what a childlike sense of curiosity might be in terms of the freedom from limitations of societal expectations etc.  your approach sounds a little like questioning everything, but from a place and basis of curiosity, maybe in order to learn more. and

Haha @Glisten- you are absolutely right about children, I reckon! that is something I have always really appreciated about kids, the way they'll just ask whatever questions they have, no filter.  and it can make for some incredibly fascinating conversations!

Suffice to say, I think that asking a lot of questions is a really good thing. In my book, there are rarely any silly questions- the only silly thing is not asking at all. I feel like this especially applies to curiosity, where curiosity is just a desire to know and learn more- there's nothing wrong with that I don't think!

Hey there @TideisTurning 🙂🌺

Thanks for your reply; that’s pretty much how my brain works now ☺️

I really agree - asking lots of questions is so important throughout adulthood because it not only can feed curiosity or the need for knowledge, I feel like it can also inform us greatly about how we can relate to other people and ourselves, do you think? 🌺🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance