Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

Nostalgia:what are your treasured memories of your younger years?

Think back to your younger years.What memories do you have that make you feel good?

Here are a few topics:

Getting up on Christmas morning and seeing christmas presents.

Favourite toys.

Favourite book.

Favourite food your mum cooked.

Your favourite takeaway food.

Going to the Royal show/show bags,etc.

school friends

What did you do to have fun as a child?

favoutite pets.

For me I love nostalgia.Love sharing memories with people who I created memories with in my younger years.

If you'd like to share your memories here,please do.Have fun.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Nostalgia:what are your treasured memories of your younger years?

One of the aspects of social medusa I do like is when people share you know you are an 80's type if...
Loved new romantic bands like Spandeau Ballet and Flock of Seagulls..
You know you grew up in regional Australia in the 80's if you only got two tv channels, Win TV and ABC..and you loved Monkey Magic, Kenny Everrett and The Goodies...

You know you love Nostalgia when you think Hot Gossip was raunchy enough and music videos nowadays are just too rude!

Camping in Kakadu and the Flinders Rangers, and day trips around country SA ususally with my grandparents.  I just loved playing with the campfire and collecting rocks.  Our NT camping trips always involved fishing and we'd just go for hours in the dingy up and down the rivers.  Beautiful scenery and pretty much all of it out of bounds now.  

running under a sprinkler

laying in bed on a hot summers night with sunburn shoulders, with the window open, and hearing crickets

coming home when it was tea time

O social Medusa, your snakes are so pretty! 

I never thought of myself as being the nostalgic "type", combination of having a fairly rough trot in life and a focus that is either very down to earth and here and now... or paradoxical yearning for things that have never been and can never be. Clear as mud?

But lately I've been feeling a certain nostalgia for the seventies. That naieve enthusiasm that social justice was going to happen and technology would improve our lives. That we could imagine and end to war and build a better world. Imagine all the people living for today, nothing to (bad word starting with k) or die for...

That stuff!

Dad was regular army....

Christmas does at dad's workplace in Bendigo, Santa wore army boots, and there was a stubby handy so he would not explode because of the heat.

Having a season ticket to the pool, which was a metal tag which you wore around your neck. We would chuck it into the diving pool, which was REALLY deep and have to go to the bottom to retrieve it.

Biking around ...going to the flicks on Saturday afternoon, watch some old newsreels, cartoons, a serial and some truly awesome but forgettable film, mum and dad were free for about 3 hours. The manager would not tolerate any loutish behaviour. He would probably be arrested nowadays.

The Bendigo Easter Show, with Sun Loong and the dancing Chinese Lions and the awesome crackers. The student float always had rotten egg gas...

Going yabbying around the mullock heaps....

Playing at the Cotter Dam in Canberra in autumn, kicking up great piles of leaves, swinging on the swings and those poles with chains round and round. I loved going to Tibbinbilla to see the telescope.

Down at Point Lonsdale, we would mess around in the cliffs playing pirates, or if at StaffCollege play in the fort gun placements.

Going up to Queensland to see grandparents, a really long drive for the parents.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance