Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

Dating Back In The 1950s In Australia.

As a child of the 1960s I had learnt that a lot of single Australian women would meet available men from Europe.It seemed that organisations introduced single Australian women to new Australian men,in hope they would make ideal compatible couples. We knew several women locally who had met their husbands that way then they settled down into relationships and marrying just like other couples did.

I have been trying to find out where it all started.Somehow Australian single women were invited to some venue where they could meet men who had recently moved to Australia.Well,that's one way to meet potential mates and it worked back then.Maybe it was arranged at a dance hall.Or even a migrants centre.

I dont know who the organisations were who arranged these meet ups. You dont hear about those types of meetings these days.Mostly men going overseas to meet various women for marriage.

If you could contribute to this post pleased do.

Thanks for stopping by.All replies welcome.

Regards Denv12.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Dating Back In The 1950s In Australia.

I don't really know @Denv12 probably church guessing. My mother married a 'new Australian' in 1959 and her friend married his friend

They've got this thing in Spain. A singles bus for ladies that goes all around the countryside. There's apparently a lot of single male farmers out there. Not really relevant but I thought I'd share anyway.

Hi @TAB .

Thank you for your repy.

I love the idea of the church getting involved.Its a wonderful contribution to life's situations where singles were helped to meet.Maybe the churches need to get involved again in the same way.Share that around.

Thank you @wellwellwellnez.
I guess that helps the farmers. Someone had a great idea.

I am just guessing re church @Denv12  because thats how mum knew her friend I think.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance