Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

cantgetnohelp
New Contributor

over it

Don't know how this works i am 35 and have been struggle with with mental illness since i was a child i think the most frustrating thing is not getting any help. Funny thing is you scream for help like i do i even actively seek it out. But you get let down it is hard to believe that even in 21st century there is no help. When u tell people in the health industry that u are suicidal at least in my case nothing is done until u finally try and end up on life support even than all u get is a month in the mental ward, no counselling while in there or treatment and than ur let into the world again to mourn the fact that u lived and thinking what if.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: over it

Hi @cantgetnohelp

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment. I am glad that you found us here in the forums.

I'm not sure what your diagnosis is, but I have BPD and SA. Through my GP I was able to get a Mental Health Plan, which gets 10 Medicare covered (free) appointments with a psychologist.

Is that possibly something worth you looking in to??

Dear @cantgetnohelp

I read on the Welcome Wednesdays that you are a new member so I thought I would say hello.

I can certainly agree with what you are saying....my husband experiences times of mental ill health and when we got married.....there was no help. It has been like this all his life. I am 48 years old and he is too. 

As I am not allowed to speak about him, he has asked me not to......can I move on and poossibly suggest some options?

I live in WEstern Australia so dont know if my suggestions will be relevant for you.

When we got together, we both agreed that I would need a lot of support.

I got help from ARAFMI   (depends who I saw though) 

Making individual appiontments with the Psychistrist on duty at the Psychiatric hospital and placing my pacific concerns with him/her.

Also the Social worker of the Psychiatric hospital.

The hospital that I am speaking of in Western Australia is Graylands Hospital. There I was given advice and I felt safer at that time.  so did my husband. 

I also got Silver chain in to assist me in writing letters and researching information to help me.

Do you have the space to do this? I think that ARAFMI or another mental health organization can get you an advocate. At one stage, I got my neighbour to be my advocate and support....

You can always post questions online at Sane Forums and we can help you......

Hi @cantgetnohelp

People post about whatever they like ... sometimes it is their family story or their artwork .. or their diagnosis ... or just how they are feeling ... we are just human ... cant take the pain away ... but often sharing does help lighten the load.Heart

MoonGal
Senior Contributor

Hello there @cantgetnohelp, so sorry to hear you haven't been able to get help for your mental health issues. I second the mention in regards a GP refferred Mental Health Care Plan which entitles you to medicare covered Psychologist appointments. I have found these to be VERY useful and has helped me get a handle on particualr issues that have led me to want to self-harm or contmeplate suicide. 

Speak to your GP and ask for an assessment, you might want to call the doctors office and ask for alonger appointment so you have time to explain everything. Also - maybe, if you feel you could write out a dot point list of what you are worried about, what you want help with from your doctor so you have something to refer to during the appointment, it can get quite convoluted when youa re talking about alot of different issues and easy to get lost with what the main point is. In this instance main point is - "Can I please have a referal for a  Mental Health Care plan?" for these reasons... A, B and C.

Sometimes we have to be very clear with our doctors and other professionals what we are asking for.

Hope this helps and glad you have found the forums, nice bucnh of people here going through similar things.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance