Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zinoviev
Contributor

Ups v downs

Hi all and happy ME week, if that makes sense.

I have depression and anxiety. My psychologist has got me to do more of the things that I enjoy as part of the therapy.

She asked me how high are the highs compared to the depths of the lows. Now, I don't have bipolar disorder. The lows are certainly longer lasting. But I couldn't compare the size of the highs and the lows. How high is the high from really good s3x compared with the low of getting turned down for a job? Or the high from a good session bodysurfing compared with the low after having an argument with my wife?

They're two completely different concepts, like trying to compare velocity and temperature.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Z

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ups v downs

Hi Z.,

I agree that highs and lows are dependent a lot of the time on external events, and it's hard to compare two experiences and label one high and another low.

Personally, although I have a tendency towards major depression, I find that my meds are able to prevent me falling into the more obvious pits. But it also requires behavioural change, monitoring of thoughts, reliance upon external supports etc.

I have schizophrenia - but function well enough to hold a part time job. I don't think I really have much in the way of highs.

Tam

Hi Z,

Perhaps insteads of trying to make it quantifiable, can you make it descriptive? You many not be able to measure the differences between chalk and cheese, but you may be able to describe the differences, and in some instances the similarities. You have an amazing way with words too, so perhaps a descriptive exercise could help. 

BTW, how's the book coming along?

Hope you're well,

CB 

Hi people.

Finally caught up with this: Depression and philosphy. Worth a read or listen.

As for my own qualititive experience, I feel the relatively short 'up' periods as an expansion of consciousness and the longer 'down' periods as a constriction. It's as if I am trapped in a small, dark room with the walls closing in and the ceiling getting lower and lower.

My book: first draft done, now polishing. 70000 words.

Z

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance