Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

The beast that is anxiety

Does anyone else find anxiety extremely crippling? I’m unable to keep medication down due to the nausea caused by it and the butterflies in my stomach. This has been happening for a few days now. My heightened awareness is off the charts.

I’ve tried mindfulness but it just isn’t working for me. My doctor hasn’t prescribed anti anxiety medication since I got out of hospital two weeks ago. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: The beast that is anxiety

Oh no @Queenie, we're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. Are you able to go back to your doctor at all?

Hey @Ali11  his reasoning behind it was because it’s potentially addictive and, being a former drug addict myself, he was reluctant to prescribe it in the first place. I can’t get in to see him until end of July anyway and my gp won’t touch my psych meds. It’s a real snafu. 

That does sound tough @Queenie, but your GP sounds like they've got your best interests at heart. Do you have any strategies that you've learned in the past that may help reduce the severity of your anxiety?

hey @Queenie
anxiety can be crippling and exhausting to say the least. i found it really hard and sometimes still do to take my medications.
does anything help you at all before i share some suggestions?

Hey @outlander  always good to see you. I’m open to all suggestions. I’ve been attempting mindfulness and exercise but I’m exhausted. It’s to the point that when I lie down to sleep, I feel like I can’t breathe from it so I don’t get a good rest either. 

@Queenie I get bad anxiety attacks that are uncontrollable and very crippling. Last few weeks, I have been doing acupressure massage on myself from google. It seems to work a bit.

@Queenie Could it be worth separating out addictive feelings from anxiety feelings.  To me they are a little different.  It might give you more insight and mastery over it all.

HeartHugs

thats hard @Queenie
some people find being active helpful while others need to find ways to ease their anxiety more restfully. these might not work for you but ill throw some ideas out there for you.
Progressive muscular relaxation- i find being guided it much better again
deep breathing- through a guided breathing meditation styles
scrapbooking- it could be for memories, or maybe filled with your favourite quotes, pictures of soothing places, or those sorts of things. your creative so instead of just putting pictures in a book, write out your own quotes and decorate each page uniquely.
art- your painting or drawing might work well for you.

crochetting or knitting- learn one of these, new stitches, plan projects. if you like sewing it could work for that too but i find when im anxious i shake to much to thread the needle.

colouring in- you can find some cool colouring books on big w, target and kmart that various between various to fun kids style ones.

puzzles- an actual puzzle piece, findawords, crosswords, soduku or others that you like

-journalling
worry box- i find this one to be quite helpful too

ill start with these ones but hopefully somethings there that might interest you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance