Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Shootingstars83
New Contributor

Support in Perth

Hey peeps I'm new to this forum and I really want to try and found a support group in Perth. I don't really want to go too much into detail about my history atm but I have depression and BPD. I don't have any friends at all, ive got an extremely dysfunctional family of 6 and only speak to my mum who doesn't understand and makes me feel worthless. I've got two beautiful kids who are my life and the reason why I am alive still. Apart from that my life is empty and meaningless. I really want to find a support group or some friends that can relate to the feelings and actually understand what it's like to be like this instead of people that think they know what's best for you or individuals that want money to tell you what they have learnt from a book. I hope to be able to find some people as my life is so lonely and some days I don't talk to one person apart from myself.
By the way I'm a 31yr old female with two kids living in the northern suburbs of perth WA
Take care
X

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Support in Perth

Hi @Shooyingstar83, Inam pretty sure one of our forum members has set up a support group for folks with BPD in Perth. Problem is I can't remember her name. The moderators may be able to help out.. @NikNik, @Hobbit, @CherryBomb..
In the meantime, you could try a Grow group as there are quite a few in WA. Attending Grow has helped me, maybe it will help you too..
Take care, you are not alone..

Welcome to the Forums @Shootingstars83 

From what I read of your post, it seems like you're feeling pretty isolated. Life can feel tough when it seems like there is not much support. I think it's great that you can so clearly understand what you need - people who can understand and relate to you. And there is support out there, such as here on these forums.

I don't know of any services off the top of my head that provides support groups in WA. GROW, as Sandy pointed out, is the first thing that comes to mind. 

@ButterflyGirl - do you know of any support groups in WA?

We also have a few members on here could you with some support. I understand that @chemonro   @BlueButterfly50 @peace and @shanc  lived experiences with BPD and/or depression. Perhaps they can offer some words of advice and support.

While waiting for a response, you might find reading this post, which was started by @shanc . In this post, shanc talks about the difficulties she is having within a dysfunctional relationship with her mum. Also, this post by @BlueButterfly50  talks about the need to start support groups in WA. You may want to contribute to this thread.  

Once again, welcome to the Forums.

CB

@Shootingstars83

I'm relatively new to these forums but I have found them very helpful and the comments are from experience not someone telling you its all about sunshine etc.. I don't feel I'm able to provide much advice about BPD as I'm still discovering This myself but have been fighting deprsession for a while.. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.. Except move to Perth to start a support group.. Hope you find one

Hi @Shootingstars83 

Welcome to the forums! It is pretty hellish being islolated with MI and parenting. I'm glad your children have been a saving grace (mine too!). It's excellent that you know what you are looking for, what would be helpful. I find that is a great place to start, much harder when we don't know what we need. Sorry I can't help with support groups in WA, but I have heard from a few people (inlcuding @Rick who's in Qld) that Neami are very good with MI support and potentially run, or know of, support groups in the Perth area.

I hope this is some help. 

Hope for meaningful connection to others endures...

Kindest regards,

Kristin

PS @CherryBomb you need to add the link to @BlueButterfly50 's post please!

@kristin 

Done! I have just added the link to my previous post. Thanks for pointing that out. 

@Shootingstars83 I am Perth also but other than GROW (which for personal reasons I will not attend) I do not know of any support groups. You could ask at your local Mental Health hospital. Please let me know if can what you're able to find out. I sometimes feel it is pretty isolating here in the west. But then again I do have have a degree of social anxiety (with a few other issues) which inhibits me from being apart of a group environment. Best wishes ☆

This website has crossed my path..
www.connect groups.org.au
It is a website listing all kinds of peer support groups in WA.
It lists Carer groups as well..
Hope this helps @Shootingstar83 and @ peace..
Sometimes groups are great to be a part of..
@peace..have you a Facebook account as there are some great Facebook pages available such as Adavic, Anxiety Disorders Victoria.
Conversations from across the globe and also they offer a private messaging service the folks who act as administrators to the site..its great to be part of different communities, online is still community..like this one 🙂

Hi I'm scorpion
I'm also in Perth I suffer PTSD and depression life can be hard but the people here are great and offer support and help just being able to convers with others who are going through the same problems hels me.look after yourself as you have something very valuable your kids.i know you will find the strength and support for the future because you made that first step looking.
One step one day at a time
scorpion

Hi
There is a really good support group called GenWHY you can call this number 08 9364 6909. and they will put you onto the right person , its held in east perth every second week , but they were talking of having it weekly because the group was getting bigger and bigger buy the week. Come along its really good , worked wonders for me .
jimmy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance