Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Suicide prevention

It's  a tough one isnt it. What the professionals think we need,  to what we know we need. But services dont provide. Im sure there are many profesionals that would agree. We need change. But it needs to be done in  close consultation with the people who are in need of extra support during these very difficult times.

My own experience recently has been negative with the crisis team. WheMIIre i could be refered by my psychiatrist and gain assistance within twenty four hours and have the same case manager. For some reason the powers to be have  changed the system. Now what hapens it goes to a triage nurse, who contacted me two days later. Who said  she would refer me to the crisis team. Heard nothing for another four days. Then had to wait for a team meeting the next day to asign me to a case worker. That person rang me, and we had a talk and said he would ring me  in a few day to see how i was. Over two weeks later ive heard nothing! How is that supose to be helpful?. Im told to ring the crisis line (which i have done, only to be put on hold indefinately)

Up untill recently, i found the crisis team very supportive. They would call me during my worse time of day. Ask me how i had spent the day, how i was feeling, what my plans were for the next day. It was a real life line. I felt that someone really cared, and was compasionate toward me. It really kept me going to the next phone call.

The powers to be have changed the system and it clearly doesnt work. I am taking this up with my psychiatrist to see where i can take it to. Its like when they took psychologists out of community health. It let so many people without ongoing help.

I have always had a fear of being taken to hospital against my will. 

I am soooo supersensitive to rejection. I feel so guilty about those suicidal thoughts. I am crying out silently for help. But noone hears. 

I have often thought if only there was a safe place to go. Somewhere where i could talk out my thoughts without judgement. Somewhere where i could feel accepted as i am at that momentl somewhere to have a coffee. Sounds strange i know.

I really feel there is a big gap in the system. So in my perfect world this is what would hapen.

A drop in centre operating 24hours a day with access to profesional help

A common area with tea/coffee 

A quiet area if i want to be alone

Access  to resources i.e drs, psychiatrist, psychologist etc

Somewhere i can walk into and talk to a person  how i feel  24/7  365 days a year

Somewhere where i can be guided into a action plan. Given some specific stratagies  to try.

A place where i can learn new skills like dbt distress tolerance.  Voluntary group work where i can connect with other people and we can support each other.

A place where there are volunteers with lived experiance (maybe need some kind of training as well)

What do others think? Would a drop in centre that operated 24/7 work. It would need some profesionals on board. Is this something Sane can take up? Explore the posibility.

@Chris I have had Similar experience. Previously if I called someone to assess me ; I would have crisis support come to my house.

The idea you propise sounds amazing.

remember its always best to stop and seek all possible aspects of help.

you will forever be greatful in the end

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance