Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

DeeElysia
Contributor

Psychosis / delusions...

Any one had their partner go through this. Mine has first time a year ago and i dont know how to handle it. We have a 3 yr old too. Any advise is appreciated please share your story with me.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Psychosis / delusions...

Hi @DeeElysia,

I was just wondering if you could say anymore? i.e. what kind of ways has this had the biggest  impact on your partner and family? is it ongoing? do you have any support? or are you trying to care for everyone as many on here do

I am not sure if you have seen the info/discussion from a previous topic Tuesday about psychosis here , SANE also have factsheet/guides abour psychosis here  

im not sure if anyone else had any thoughts? i.e. @soul @Pippa33 or @LightlySparklin shared their experience here

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @DeeElysia

Checking in to see how you are going.

Darcy

Hi
I have just joined the forum. My partner also has had psychosis since June 2017. She is in hospital at the moment. I desperately looking for any new treatments as it has been 3 weeks and the drugs are not really working. It is very hard position to be in. When she talks about the delusions ( something bad is going happen tonight and I am the cause of everything that is happening patterns) I find it difficult. I can't reason with her. If you have found any good info that would help me handle her that would be great. Are you trying any other treatments other than antipsychotic medication ?

Hello 🙂

Thanks for your post @DeeElysia- how are things going for you and your family at the moment?

@Cocoon2017 welcome to the forums. It's great to have you here and joining the forum community.

Supporting a loved one through their mental illness journey can be challenging, the beauty of the forums is having a space for you to connect with others who have an openness and understanding of how tough things can be at times. 

@Cocoon2017 I hear that you find it difficult when your partner talks about the delusions they experience, this is very understandable and I'm sure I'm not along in expressing that it can be confrotning at times. At the Sane Help Centre we often talk to family and friends about how they should behave and talk to a person who is experiencing psychosis. There are no set rules; however you may find some of these general guidelines to be helpful............

* be yourself 🙂

* Maintain communication with your loved one. Gain information and understand that the person may be behaving and talking differently due to their delusional beliefs.

Understand that psychotic symptoms are stressful for everyone and that you may have a range of feelings – shock, fear, sadness, anger, frustration, despair.

Talking with other people will help you to deal with these feelings. Believe the person will recover – even if it takes some time. Be patient.

* When a person is in the midst of an acute episode they may seem child-like. Sometimes they need to be in a safe, comforting environment and sometimes they need others to help with decisions.

* Try not to take it personally if the person says hurtful words to you when they are unwell.

* Your loved one may seem fixed in their beliefs and ideas. Try to avoid engaging in long disagreements or arguments about their beliefs. As much as possible, try to listen with interest to gain an understanding of your loved one's current reality. This will demonstrate empathy to your loved one. It can also be helpful future reference, so that you can discuss it when they are feeling better.

Try to validate the feelings associated with the delusion (e.g. feeling scared, hurt or alone) without validating the delusion itself.

Above all, take care of yourself. It can be tricky to strike a balance between caring for our loved one, whilst still taking the time you need for yourself as well. Self care is a must 🙂

I hope some of this may be of interest to you @Cocoon2017 and @DeeElysia

Lots of support coming your way....

Pebbles 🙂
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Cocoon2017

Psychosis or delusions in the absence of other medical causes or drug reactions can be indicative of an underlying major psychiatric illness. I have found the best help regarding delusions from Sz websites.

60 tips for helping people who have schizophrenia from schizophrenia.com

http://www.schizophrenia.com/family/60tip.html

In relation to general MI here is a short 15 min talk gives 4 good strategies to help when MI enters family.

https://youtu.be/NRO0-JXuFMY

Key questions to note include things like was/is your partner depressed? Have they had mood swings, increased sex drive spent a lot of $, not taken care of personal hygiene, stopped seeing friends.

Psychosis can occur in disorders other
Sz and depending on clinical features and diagnosis, treatments can also include mood stabilisers and ECT which is why it is really important to get as much info on history regarding mood, behaviors etc.

It can take a good 6 weeks for drugs to take full effect although sometimes you can get n earlier response.

Hope this helps
Darcy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance