Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

alyssajane
New Contributor

My story-how can i change my mindset?

Hello! i am a new member here! and i feel like i need to get this all out and hopefully someone out there has some trips or someone else has gone through it.

I am 25 years old and happily married, living out of home with my cat and dog. I am a childcare educator and recently have been struggling with life in general.

I have always been quite a happy and positive person and i believe i have lived with anxiety even from a young age. When i was 16 my dad passed away from cancer and i felt i dealt with that well, i saw a counsellor and had great support. Throughout high school, i was always very shy and never had much confidence growing up. When i was old enough to drink and what not, i went overseas with a few friends from high school and lost my virginity for the first time, and ended up sleeping with a few people in the holiday time, not really knowing what i was doing or how much it was affecting me. I was also raped in this same time frame by an older man who was travelling with his wife and daughter. he also attempted to speak to me when i got back. again i sought out counselling for it and i think it helped with the short term stuff, but clearly not everything is solved. i almost feel like i am ashamed of sex in any way shape or form and i live with such crippling anxiety everyday. just recently i have gone through a really big depression, to the point where i wanted to be sitting in a room in the dark on my own, feeling overwhelmed and just angry at myself for feeling it. i am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks or has anyone gone through something life this. i feel that my sex life and even my own self confidence is suffering and i am becoming more depressed and upset about it. HELP?!?!?!

1 REPLY 1

Re: My story-how can i change my mindset?

It's a toughie. What has helped me has been masturbation (as the body keeps the score), and when I did get a flashback, dismissing the vision as if it was simply a bad dream and bringing myself back to the room.  Noticing my breathing is my current anxiety-buster.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance