Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Mental illness-invisable or not

Hi Kristin

I know the leper treatment too well. I do think we really get it dished out to us harshly though. Its difficult for people to understand how we feel about that.

Racism and homophobia, discrimination against women for example in there own way have been similar issues. There has been a lot of energy and strategies put into place to reverse community behaviour and perceptions about them which have been very successful.

The Anti Discrimination Act deals with discrimination on the basis of mental illness but is not very descriptive about what that means. I dont think there have been any big bucks dealing with MI phobia or blatant as well as subtle discrimination in this area.

All of the motherhood statements by the anti discrimiantion commissioner and the government has not actually given any concrete benefits to people on the gound with MI. Going on my experiences, almost every part of society discriminates against MI people including the medical profession. Participation rates for peopel with a disabiltity in the public service have halved in a decade.

Seeing that MI people make up a small part of this figure their participation rates would be significantly lower. Unless there is a concerted effort by government-community-disability organisations-mental health organisations-the medical profession and all the support services working together and not in their own interests, nothing will change.

Thanks Kristin. I did do another post about MI people being at the bottom of the recognition and supportive ladder.

No offence intended but it is true that if you have a white stick or you are in a wheelchair or an obvious visible disability then it is more likely that you will receive a more sympathetic response from the general masses.

I was discussing this with one of my non MI friends today who is a great guy and very non judgemental. He says when we first met me that he had no concept of what MI was and maybe was a little scared of schizophrenics because of the terrible stigma associated with it.

He says he has never read or heard anything about it which was positive. He reckons from his experience most people are completely uninformed about MI and therefore cant relate to it. Says a lot about policies or non policies for lifting community awareness about it generally.

Great question! I think that's why it can be so hard to talk about. The fear of being judged or misunderstood hangs over wanting to be honest about something that can be debilitating, but that we shouldn't be ashamed of. (although I am very guilty at the moment of finding it difficult to talk about except now with my new SANE friends Smiley Happy)

I think we need to try and remember that to better understand others we need to accept ourselves - the good and the bad. In particular with MI without sharing what's going on, as scary as it can be, it's an evil that can spiral out of control when we try to hide it. I know, easier said than done haha!!

I'm accepting that taking medication is ok for MI, if it's what is needed, just like any other health problem no one would look down on you for taking medicine to try and keep things under control.

Good luck out there

Kenny you've gone back and edited your posts! They are so wonderfully readable now, thank you! I had to re-read them because I thought I must have missed them. I just twigged 🙂
Well done, much kinder on the reader.
Best regards,
Kristin

Hi Jake,

I found an ABC article about disclosing having a MI in the workplace which is somwhat encouraging.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2014/08/11/4064793.htm

I've disclosed to people who give the blank look, or worse they know all about 'my problem' and they can 'help'.  This from a person with their own 'problems' that they need to acknowledge, or they're obviously lacking in relevant skills.

Its a big world, full of all sorts.  I can pick who to disclose to.  Choose who to tell and you will eventually choose right.Woman Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance