Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Neb
Senior Contributor

Just a survey

Just wondering about how many years contributors have coped with mental illness. I am looking for the more mature people but in the interest of evenhandness how many is for everyone/

me....first started at the age of 15, and I will be 58 this year so that gets me 43 years.....oh my! I am a survivor in more ways than one.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Just a survey

Hi @Neb

I'm 51 and I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, pstd, BPD 7 years ago as a result of childhood sexual abuse.But looking back through my childhood I think I sufferred a lot longer than 7 years 😞

Hi @Neb First 'official' diagnosis - 23 years ago. Am now 46.

Moved:

This comment has been removed by a moderator due to explicit/triggering content.

Hi @Neb@Zoe7@BlueBay and other long survivors of mental illness,

I had significant problems with mental health in childhood that were undiagnosed and untreated. First saw a psychiatrist at age 27 when I had a big breakdown. At first it was all diagnosed as anxiety and depression. Later, bipolar. Continued under the care of psychiatrists (with other therapists from time to time) until now, age 54. Although my life has been troubled and strange and I continue to struggle, I seem to appreciate being around more than ever before as the years advance, maybe through more acceptance of who I am.

Just a formal appology to anyone I may of upset with my reply to this forum post. My post was removed and I really am sorry for writting triggering content that may of upset everyone. xx

Appology to everyone. xx

@Mummytotwo - i missed it, but the moderators are very careful looking after this diverse and fragile community, don't feel bad, live, learn and move on. Can you answer without the triggering material?

I went mentally west at about 12, was diagnosed in 2014 (at 53) as Bipolar, cPTSD, OCD and core anxiety

Too long

Hi Neb,

Our body is 34 and was first diagnosed with mental illness at 16 -- however according to the body's mother, we were showing signs of mental illness as early as 3.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance