Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

traybit
Casual Contributor

I can't even

Today when at the doctors I learned that a psychiatrist I saw for an hour almost 2 years ago diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder. I've been almost house bound for years because of anxiety, as well as a range of other things including depression and panic attacks.. Then to find out that this was in a report almost 2 years ago and I only found out today!!
I'm so upset I don't know what to even say about it.. I can see myself in the description on BPD so I don't think it was wrong exactly.. But how can almost 2 years go by without me being told?!? I'm so confused.
11 REPLIES 11

Re: I can't even

Wow @traybit - you have every right to be confused!

Can you clarify - were you seeing another professional today, which shared that information with you, or did you go back to the same psychiatrist today? If the same one, did he/she offer any explanation?

A 1 hour consultation does seem like a short time to make that diagnosis - what did the doctor recommend the next step to be?

I was in with my gp today asking for a health assessment thingo, to go with my application for disability pension. I've only seen that psychiatrist once.. Through a telemed, basically through a web cam because of distance. There is no next step.. I stay on the meds I've been taking, keep seeing my counciler ... Nothing has been said, nothing had been done.. I just looked at the paperwork and read borderline personality disorder.

Hi @traybit,

I second what @NikNik said, it sounds very confusing! I can only imagination how it would have felt have to have struggled and suffered for the past few years and then only find out this useful bit of information.

May I ask why you only saw that psych once? It's a bit hard to speculate why things turned out the way they have, but I can certainly understand you desire to what know how and why this happened. It just does't sound quite right.

CB

Where I live I the country it's very difficult to see anyone. The closest psychiatrist is about a 5 hour drive, and I'm pretty sure if/when they come here they are booked months ahead. Basically the only time I know of anyone seeing one is after a stay in hospital because you have basically lost it for a while. Then they get an evaluation when they can arrange it, usually a few weeks later, and you go back to your GP. Living in a country town .. Lol!!

I guess I'd have to ask my GP to go and see one again.

Living in the country can make things complicated. As you have pointed out access services is tough. Some of our member @Former-Member and @eth can relate to this.

As for why, you didn't have this information about BPD - I'm perplexed!

Is there any way, you could speak with that psych to find out why?

Tbh I doubt he would remember me. I was a few hours out of his day almost 2 years ago. When I see my GP in 2 weeks I'll be asking about it though. I kinda thought this would be a bigger deal. I see her at least once a month, lately every 2 weeks. I'm guessing the GP thought I knew what the report said? Because I already knew his recommendations for my medication... He told me that in the conference. But he said nothing at the time about what he thought was wrong with me.

@traybit, that sounds like a good starting point - seeking clarification with your GP. 

It's an odd situation to have happened. But I hope that it gives you something to work with in terms of your own mental health.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @traybit and @CherryBomb ,
I've had a similar experience with psychiatrist reports. When I was a witness giving evidence in a criminal case the defense produced emails between my gp and psychiatrist that I then had to read out to court and I didn't know about some of the things in there and trust me it was a terrible feeling learning it at the same time as a room full of people judging me.

It's very difficult to get appts where i am and when I do they're often rearranged at last minute which is a nightmare with no childcare. I also find it difficult being a telemed / Skype type of set up .

Are we or should we be asking for reports? I don't know - ever since court though I've been much more reluctant to be too open with medical professionals.
I wish there was some more support for you where you are @traybit , would it b worth asking your gp if he thinks it would b worth seeing a psychiatrist again so you could ask more detailed questions and find out what specific options there are for you?
Lj

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance