Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

vmainard40
Contributor

I am new and have brother with Schizo affective disorder

I am new here and I have a brother with schizo affective disorder. He is more Bi polar thant schizophrenia. I have taken over as his carer in the 18 months since our father died from cancer. I share the caring duties with my mum. He has really hit a wall recently and he even says it a delayed reaction to our father death. I am trying to do the best I can and want to talk to people who are in simular position to me. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: I am new and have brother with Schizo affective disorder

A question vmain

How old is your brother

Have you considered this? As a carer dont forget that Mental welliness is a part of  life even when suffering a MI. Its not a life sentence & it can be a shock to the owner. Excessive thinking & worry does not help you support your brother, this will war you out. Having positive thoughts & keeping your norms in check is vital. Having jun is allowed & highly recommended. 

It can becoming consuming in many ways, especially if you take on bros pain & loss. Grieving may have not been possible when you expected it. 

I feel that shifting focus on your role might help. How long since you guys had a "normal" day out. Allow yourself to have fun & good times with your brother & mum. We play Yatzee etc & cheat & tell jokes & laugh. Watch Shallow Hal its must make you smile. Filling the glass with other things not related to MI gives less room for it. Feeling normal is doing normal things. Grieving for dads doesnt go away. It just changes. I miss my dad too.

Your best is being a happy you, you are allowed to be and genuine happiness is contageous & keeps the black dog away.

All the best

My partner of seven years has schizo effective disorder and when he is well and taking his monthly depot we lead normal lives , he holds down a job and is a family man. 

Hi @vmainard40,

I just saw this thread Managing Schizoaffective Disorder and was thinking about your post, It is on the lived experience forum so coming from the individual who has these experiences but you are very welcome to look around and contribute

how are things at the moment?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance