Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mikey
Casual Contributor

How long do you take antidepressants from when you start feeling better?

Hey guys. I am taking antidepressants of 20mg now for 2 months.

I feel better now and was wondering for how much longer I still have to taking antidepressants? I am seeing my psychiatrist and she says that I need to at least keep taking them for 1 year.

Thing is I'm not sure if my psychiatrist is just saying that so I keep coming to her and provide her with income or whether she's saying that for my health and benefit. That's why I'm asking how long do you guys generally take antidepressants for from when you start feeling better. I only started taking antidepressants because my anxiety was horrible and I was having panic attacks and agoraphobia.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How long do you take antidepressants from when you start feeling better?

@Mikey  Hi Mikey and welcome to the forum 🙂 I can't and wont tell you what to do with your antidepressents that is between you and your psychiatrist all I can say is I have been on mine for over 3 years and have no intention of giving it up becauase it really helps and I need it to get up in the morning. I know of lil old ladies in their 80s who are happily on them and have been for years with no side effects .... I suppose what I am saying is there is no shame and nothing wrong with being on anti depressents.

Hi @Mikey 👋 

welcome to the forum! 

I think everyone is different. I’m not a medical professional but my experience and those of many I know is that you do tend to stay on them for a while even if you feel ok. The fact that they seem to be helping is a good thing. 

Personally I have been on mine for 7 years. I don’t think the psychiatrist will need to see you that often once meds are working. Are you doing therapy as well with your psychiatrist? If not you can get the psychiatrist to hand over your medication prescription to your GP as well. I think the psychiatrist will probably not need to see you much more once the effects of the medication are known and stable, unless you are doing psychotherapy with them. 

I hope this helps. 

Yeh good point. It's just that stigma associated with it I suppose. But yeah good side I look at is that it's just treating a medical problem.   just like if someone had cancer they need to get chemotherapy. 

When you say you've been on your meds for 7 years have you been continuously taking them for 7 years? Yes I'm visiting my psychiatrist often and doing psychotherapy. Ive got a daily checklist that I do of having 2l to 3l of water and also at least 30 mins meditation a day. I'm focusing on everything 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance