Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Hopes for the future?

Thinking about hope for the future in the midst of drama can seem impossible. It's hard to not worry about worse case scenarios when so many things are constantly going awry.  

When I needed to care for an unwell family member life was chaotic  -  hospitalisations, rehab, and family conflict. It felt impossible to be hopeful about the future,  because it seemed like we'd never know where we'd end up. Even planning social dinners was hard. My family and I learned just to take it one day at a time. We just learned how to be present and to not get attached to an imagined future. Sure, we'd plan things, sure, we'd hope for better things, but if things changed, not being attached to them made it easier to let it go and roll on with life. That's how we dealt with future hopes. 

What are your thoughts? What are your hopes for the future? How do you make plans with life's unexpected ups and downs? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Hopes for the future?

At the moment, planning for things is hard. But I do have have something to hang on to. By dad had offered to pay for the family to come over and visit them. It is a big deal, because not only is it four years since we last saw them, the live in another country, and are retired and in ill health. I was reluctant to take him up on the offer because it is using his retirement funds, but he said that he would rather have us visit now than for his funeral. he is not well so it makes sense. i am almost too scared to be excited because of how up and down life is. but it is something to hang on too that hopefully in late december i will see my family again.

great to have something thing to look forward to Smiley Happy

It's so hard when life has been like a roller coaster for way too long. When you get some ordinary quiet it can feel flat, but it's worth taking a breath and enjoying the quiet while it lasts. Even taking a short deliberate break from the endless need to plan and organise our lives can be a bit of a breather.

Looking forward to visiting your family might be some solace for you at the moment. Your father sounds like he's very down to earth, I hope you can enjoy some special time together.

Take care,

k

Kristin

you are spot on again in your response...Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance