Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jake
Senior Contributor

Honesty

Hi Group,

I just wanted to say that no mater what illness/es you may be suffering, I am very impressed by the level of honesty shown by the members of this forum.

It is refreshing to be able to both 'speak my mind' and read other people's anecdotes, without all the pretenses that go along with wearing a 'mask' and having to keep up a facade, jut to try relate to other people. I believe we are all here with a common goal, so we don't need to try to impress others, we just 'say it like it is'.

I would also like encourage anyone who is struggling to know what to say to just say it (within the forum guidelines of course) and if it helps, anyone who would like to know specifically about my personal experience with PD's (personality disorders) I don't mind replying to any direct questions with direct answers. 

Of course my answer will be purely subjective and only from my experience.

Regards, Jake

28 REPLIES 28
kenny66
Senior Contributor

Re: Honesty

Hi Jake

Ditto from me for anyone who would like to know about Schizoaffective Disorder and Schizophrenia. One thing I would be interested in knowing is how does your PD effect you day to day and how you overcome any difficulties. What are your main symptoms?

Kenny

Jake
Senior Contributor

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your question, my main symptom is anxiety, I can't control it at all, This affects where I can live and what I can do. I don't like living anywhere where people can see me, it doesn't matter whether they are friendly or not.

Normally I don't have to worry, as I choose to live alone in a fairly isolated rural setting, where I have no neighbours. Even a barking dog can annoy me so much, I feel like doing anything to stop it. Yes I have bad thoughts, but have never acted on them.

If I know someone is watching me, again I will do anything to avoid it. I can't even use public transport, the amount of people in close proximity overwhelms me and my anxiety peaks around 9/10.

I guess the best explanation that I can give you is that my fight or flight response goes off way too soon and the fear (real or imagined) I feel is way out of proportion to the event.

I don't like people just engaging me in idle conversation, it seems to take all my emotional energy to have a conversation - yet oddly enough, if I initiate the conversation, I can talk indefinitely.

Regards, Jake 

Hi Jake thanks for letting me a little bit into your world-I really appreciate it.  Isolation can be a feature of schizophrenia as well sometimes. If you dont mind me asking, dose your anxiety stop you from being in a relationship or is that not possible.

Kenny

Jake
Senior Contributor

Hi Kenny,

No I don't mind you asking, I have had quite a few relationships, of course not everyone lives together, but I think I am difficult to live with. A lot of things couples are supposed to do together to have 'fun' causes me great distress.

I actually score 100% on the introversion/extroversion continuum (for introversion) on the Myers Briggs Typology Indicator (Google MBTI). To all the psychologists out there saying "no-one can be 100% introverted", I have done the test multiple times and yep - introverted all the way!

I am so scared of people, it takes all my effort to stand in front of a crowd and not go into a major anxiety/panic attack! If say we went out together and I was left alone for any reason, I'd become very distressed, it feels like I am a 'child lost in a crowd of strangers' - it feels like everyone is a potential threat to me.

Bit hard to explain in words, it's more like a feeling of deep insecurity to the point of me feeling like I am actually 'allergic to people' - no doubt a left over 'demon' from living as a child with both parents who had their own MI's before I was institutionalised.  

Regards, Jake

Thanks Jake

Boy that's a tough thing to live with. I never really understood how difficult anxiety disorders were in a practical sense although I know all MI has its own difficulties.

Does any therapy or medication help, or do you just try and handle it yourself without medication. I went through a thing where i couldnt be near people for a time but I made a big effort to get out of that and now i speak to anyone so i sort of went the opposite way. Thats schizophrenia I suppose!!! 

Anyway you say you initiate conversation. Do you stick around for the response and engage with the discussion, or do you just pose the topic and then dont get involved in the dialogue.

Re: Honesty and MBTI

Hi Jake,
The good news is this, you are 100% Intravert! Good news is I am 100% Extravert on the same scale! And I suffered anxiety too....so many people do....which is what I love about this forum..we all get along, and learn from each other...I love the way you describe things, like being allergic to people....know that feeling well but only rears up occasionally when I am outside my comfort zone and meeting new people..but I figure everyone else probably also gets butterflies, anxious and icky about meeting new people sometimes too..helps me to get through those feelings..
kristin
Senior Contributor

Hi Jake,

I agree about the level of honesty and support that everyone is showing, it is amazing. It is a pretty confronting to be so open about anything, let alone something which carries such huge social stigma.

I will be interested to see what happens when we get an influx of new people onto the forum. It feels to me as if we have formed a wonderful and effective on-line community, and in a few days we are going to be asked to open our arms and hearts to a whole lot more people.

I think there are also probably quite a few people who aren't feeling completely comfortable with the level of openness in sharing yet - and that's ok too (I'm saying this based on the number of "views" compared to the number of replies).  

To be honest I think the openness and honesty are in part a reflection of how desperately we need to connect with like-minded people and in part the dearth of such people in our everyday lives. I don't generally share this much with my former partner and he's got PTSD too. We're good friends but I know that sometimes when I'm struggling with something and I tell him it either triggers him or he thinks I'm blaming him (when I'm not). I'm lucky I can talk with my best friend like this, but we both lead fairly full lives (even when I try to fill mine with silence/stillness!) and she runs her own successful business.

Cheers, Kristin

Jake
Senior Contributor

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your response, by way of explanation, it's not an anxiety disorder per se, but a personality disorder, specifically borderline (the name comes from 'between neurotic and psychotic). One of my symptoms is extreme anxiety to everyday social events, so I struggle with social interaction unless I know the person/s well enough (e.g. I can't/don't answer my telephone or I can't/don't use public transport, my anxiety causes me too much distress).

As we are social animals, I like being around people, but I can take an instant like (or dislike) to someone in the first 10 seconds of meeting them. Intuition is one of my stronger personality traits, so combined with introversion, I run a mile when I sense aggressive people (or should that say "I run a kilometre" Lol!).

There is no real medication for this disorder, but I choose/need to have regular psychotherapy. I'm not just 'being difficult' with the issue of medication, after 10 years of psychotherapy, it is considered that my brain is 'hard wired' to respond to events in a certain way. Desensitization to triggers does not work for me - once I am triggered (by a threat - real or imagined) I just want out of there.

I also have a strong sense of judging moral injustice, I hate it when other people are being mistreated and often get offside with people for expressing my opinion (fancy that - I'm the one that is supposed to be 'difficult' according to my 'label' - so why do others react so much when I express an opinion? (pehaps those without MI labels are more dysfunctional than they would like to imagine). It's like others can verbalise an opinion, but if I express mine, they don't like it!

So yes Kenny, I can engage anyone in a conversation, sometimes to the point of them feeling uncomfortable with my responses. I don't do this on purpose, the way I see the world, if someone makes a comment (an opinion) I have every right to respond (with another opinion) even if they feel 'threatened' by my response. 

After all, I am not responsible for how another person feels (I learnt that one in therapy a long time ago) so if another person feels 'threatened' because my response does not fit into their world view or paradigm, that is their problem, not mine. If I went around feeling responsible for how everyone else feels, it would do my head in.

Regards, Jake

Re: Honesty and MBTI

Hi Alessandria,

Thanks for your comments, I don't really like being 100% introverted, as I struggle in everyday social settings that (I assume) others take for granted (i.e shopping for food). Another example - I used to play in bands and it took all my inner resolve to get up on stage. I could be wrong, but as the MBTI is on a continuum, I imagine that an extrovert would not struggle to the same degree that say I would.

Sorry if you already know this - in respect of Introversion/Extroversion, my understanding is that the MBTI is on a continuum which is 200 points wide, with 0 (zero) being in the middle. This allows for someone to score anywhere between 100% Introversion and 100% Extroversion. That is to say a score of 0 (zero) would be neither Introverted, nor Extroverted, given the same questions on the test. 

In other words, if a person attains a score of 10% for Introversion, this does not mean that they are automatically 90% Extroverted - as the continuum is 200 points wide, not 100 (Intraversion/Extraversion are polar opposites, if I understand the methodology correctly that is)!

Regards, Jake

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance