Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Shelaughsalot
Casual Contributor

Can I refuse some medications after being switched from "involuntary admission " to "voluntary admission"

Hi all. Been a busy couple of days. I got chased and handcuffed by the police after refusing to go back to the hospital (walked out on my video conference with mental health) long story short They wanted to admit and transfer me to a bigger town hospital but I was allowed to stay at this hospital as long as I was admitted as voluntary. If I tried to leave the hospital again I would be back on the involuntary list and would be transferred to Toowoomba. So I agreed to that but after asking the doctor that was on tonight I was allowed to come home. So the big doc that I had the conference with doesn't know yet. I'm suppose to have my next conference with him tomorrow. So my question is.... Now that I was a voluntary patient do I have the right to refuse some of the medication he wants to prescribe?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can I refuse some medications after being switched from "involuntary admission " to "voluntary admission"

Hi @Shelaughsalot

Sounds like you've had a really hard time! 😞 Sounds like a really scary experience, and kind of confusing if it was so full on and now so relaxed in such a short period of time. If you are a voluntary patient, then yes, I would say that you have the right to choose your treatment... but i dont really understand all the laws and things.. I know when i was in hospital, as a voluntary patient, i really didnt have any input or say into the medications i was given, but i didnt really try to argue either, i wasnt in the frame of mind to even think about it...

Do you have a support person or someone that you trust that could go with you as an advocate of what you want to happen regarding things in general? someone who can listen to the dr with you and help you to figure out whats going to be best for you at the moment... I know all psychiatrists are different but working together as a kind of team is probably going to be better off in the long run, hopefully your doc will have some options and takes time to explain things etc...

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow, hope you get some sleep tonight at home!

LJ

Re: Can I refuse some medications after being switched from "involuntary admission " to "voluntary admission"

Jeez, it sounds like you've been thru the wars lately!

I found some links on mental health rights earlier this year, they might be a good starting point.

http://saneforums.org/t5/What-s-new-services-research-and/Mental-Health-Rights-Information-State-by-...

Good luck!

Hi @Shelaughsalot
It sounds like there is ALOT going on at such a fast pace.

CannonSalt has provided a great link where you can find out your rights.

Just a quick one - the forums are anonymous, so we don't allow information that might make someone identifiable, like their current location. You didn't disclose which hospital you're currently in, I just want to flag it as you mentioned which hospital you could be transferred to.

Keep us updated on how you're travelling.

Take care & again, welcome to the Forums. I'm glad you found us!

you do have the right to refuse medication, but if they're quite set on medicating you they can make you involuntary again.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance