Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Salemsavage
New Contributor

Auditory hallucinations and paranoid beliefs

Hi there 

Im here to share my experience and hopefully gain some knowledge about what others experience in terms of auditory hallucinations. 

Firstly I’ll start by saying I’m a 23 year old female that has been diagnosed with ‘psychosis’(still lost as to what my diagnosis is/whether it’s somethig more than just an episode) But I have been hearing voices for 6 months. I didn’t tell anyone for a long time and only have recently started dealing with it as it led to me almost taking my life when they all dared me to end it.

It started out as I thought I was hearing people through radios or thinking there are cameras that have accidentally allowed a two way microphone without the camera operator aware. I’m quite a rational person and thought these voices would be from a logical explanation so I didn’t believe they were coming from inside me. When alone, I stopped listening to my own internal thoughts and started concentrating on always listening, in an attempt to hear something to catch them out and prove they either do or don’t exist. The voices (apart from 1) are people I know. Sometimes it’s like I can write their script and make them say certain things I.e if I walk past a particular type of car then I can make them talk about that. Sometimes it’s like I can hear people’s thoughts. Other times it’s like I’m overhearing a conversation I shouldn’t be and sometimes it’s like they are inside my head and take over and control me. Sometimes it’s like they are in the room with me but only rarely does it feel like they are right next to me.

I find myself doing certain things the way ‘they’ like it. Sometimes they use words that I don’t typically use or only rarely do they have new ideas or information. usually what I hear from that voice is the worst thing that person could say about me or rather that voice picks on my insercurities in the worst way. 

I don’t think I’m schizophrenic because I rarley lose my sense of reality and am aware that these voices aren’t real but that doesn’t stop me listening to them.  I also looked into DID (disassociative identity disorder) because I found my internal voice disappears and another voice takes over the ‘microphone’.

I would love to hear your stories about hearing voices and what that feels like to you or how they present themselves (i.e do you hear them as like invisible people standing next to you, through white noise or like a distant conversation). 

i also would love to know if anyone else has recognized the voices using language that you don’t or having unique/new ideas that feel like they couldn’t come from you? 

I know these voices aren’t real but am looking for reassurance that other people experience similar things. I’m currently feeling like the odd one in my friends and family.

Any stories you can share would be amazing. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Auditory hallucinations and paranoid beliefs

Good morning @Salemsavage - so glad you found us! Thanks for sharing your story. It's a bit quiet overnight sometimes, but I'm sure throughout the day some of our members will jump in and say hello... There are certainly lots of people who have had similar experiences to you, you are not alone...

Hope to keep seeing you around

Welcome @Salemsavage  I’m along time voice hearer too. I used to have a delusion that I was special because I was unwillingly part of a government experiment when I was a child that my parents made money out of. It involved having a microchip inserted into my brain which caused my voices. All of mine are derogatory and want me to die. I used to believe this was because of the experiment’s termination phase. The government basically wanted me to self terminate.

My experiences went many years before seeking treatment and even then I wouldn’t admit to a lot of what I’ve come to understand are symptoms. But these days my shrink knows everything and has I believe correctly diagnosed me as schizoaffective.

Hi @Salemsavage amd welcome. I have DID and hear ‘voices’. I/we had many, many diagnoses over the years before the DID one which I’ve come to believe is accurate. Mine all have particular characteristics. Early on there was a (girl) child, a reckless and often angry (male) teenager and a more mature-sounding woman who gave me good advice. There are more now, including some destructive ones. I don’t know how I would tell the difference between them and psychosis-induced voices. I’ve often wondered. I know, over time, I get to know mine and they can change and respond to how how I treat them like regular people do... but that takes time. I’m not sure how I would tell them apart when I first heard them, if I had to.

Sending you good wishes,

Rayne

Hi @Salemsavage @-Rayne- @Queenie @s-jay 

I hear what is like other peoples thoughts and have trouble identifying my own thoughts. In particular, noises influence me me. I am fairly dissociated. It draws back from psychosis that began 10 years ago. 

I am reading about it now and follow on about it below.

I need to take ownership of my thoughts and realize they are phony phenomena not being based on reality but it is hard. It seems very real to me. I am motivated by wanting to hear the real story of life. I don't want to hold a lot of negative thoughts and voices and need to dig deep to get rid of them.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance