Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tuffsy60
Casual Contributor

Aspie Teacher - impossible!

I've just joined this forum thanks to MH week and ABC Moral Compass shown on Sunday night, Oct 5.

In a really, really quick nutshell: After 35 years as a computer techie with no social skills and getting into lots of trouble by saying and doing the wrong things, causing anxiety, depression IBS etc. I then retrained as a high school teacher and while studying 'students with special needs', I was tested for and diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome DSM IV.

After teaching for 2 years, with the aid of anti-depressants, and feeling that I had succeeded in this new field, I moved to a new location and started doing casual teaching. After about 6 weeks of teaching about 2-3 days a week, one student took a dislike to me and accused me of physical and verbal abuse. Getting friends to corroborate on a story, I was dismissed and the school reported me the the child welfare ombudsman.

I am now suffering from PTSD, and taking lots of medication to sleep and help with flashbacks and panic attacks.

I feel let down, no crucified, by the independent school system. I cannot walk past school students in the street without getting panic attacks and am afraid to go into town for fear of seeing someone connected with the school.

In hindsight, I probably should not have retrained as a teacher as you need a lot of emotional intelligence and the ability to cope in stressful situations. Although my immediate boss knew about my Aspergers, I received no contact from the school after I was sent home.

Life sucks on the spectrum!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Aspie Teacher - impossible!

I taught for a couple of years, was fine for the first year, was sick with undiagnosed schizophrenia the second. It was a terrible experience, and I have had little experience of teaching since.
I have several friends with Aspergers, and find them to be quiet and kind. I hate to think of you being exposed to such an unkind system as this has proven to be.

You know, I scored well at university, and could have - on my mature age second attempt - have studied education, but I simply do not have the emotional strength to face a class. There was some talk once upon a time of getting me a teachers aide position, but nothing came of it.

Thanks for your support Tam63 🙂

Ugh, sounds distressingly familiar. I taught high school for a year in the late nineties and it did not end well. I ended up having my first major breakdown. 

Um, that job made me afraid? 

First year teaching is practically a breakdown factory... Maybe like being a medical intern? Maybe for the same reason? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance