Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

SLP1997
Casual Contributor

A snippet into my story

Hi, I'm only a new user. My mum told me she used the carers forum when I was in my dark days. I guess I decided to share a little bit of my own story.

My problems started when I was quite young, I had massive separation anxiety from my mum. I didn't like to be alone, I slept in my mum's bed until I was about 14. I suppose the real decline in my mental health came when I was about 15, I started to self medicate every day. Over time this only increased my anxiety, I barely went to school, I always had friends over partying and what not. I hit a massive wall when I was 16 I was self medicating with a lot of different things, it was a really dark time for me. A lot of suicidal ideation was going on, I just didn't want to deal with my thoughts anymore. I was angry at myself and the world, why me? I would ask constantly, I would see everyone around me coping with life so much easier than I was, I felt life was unfair. I always argued with my mother, I treated her very poorly. Then after a couple of years of turmoil I finally decided to stop self medicating and get some help, I was over feeling so down all the time. So anxious to the point where I wasn't leaving the house anymore. I suppose getting the right diagnosis and medication balance for me was super helpful, I started to go to therapy and try and climb out of the dark hole I was in. I'm currently 21, doing things I never thought would be possible. I went overseas with my partner, I have had a job for about 7 months, which is a huge deal for me. Life is a lot more enjoyable these days. If it wasn't for my mother and her support through the years I don't know if I would've made it. I suppose this a reminder for people living with a mental illness but also carers who support us in our dark times, you can do it. You can get through it, don't give up. You're all doing a great job, and things do get better if you are willing to try!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: A snippet into my story

Hi SLP1997,
Welcome to the forums.
I think alot of people here on the forum at some point, can relate to your experience of being in that really dark place of suicidal thoughts, and taking that brave step of trying to not give in.

Thankyou for sharing that hope, and congratulations on going overseas and working for 7 months, i get a sense those are really important and big things for you!
I do hope that you find this forum to be a supportive community

Cheers,
New Dawn (Moderator)

Thank you @SLP1997  That was a beautiful, brave, hopeful and honest post.  Brought tears to my eyes.

It is great that you are in a better place. 

Smiley Happy 

Thank you @Appleblossom for the amazingly kind words. 

@SLP1997 Thank you for sharing your inspiring post. Your mum sounds like a lovely lady, you do too.

All the very best in the adventures life has in store for you.💜💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance