Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A Life of Trauma and Tragedy (Possibly Triggering Content)

It was lovely having my Dad visit @NatureLover ... but a big responsibility and damned hard work. He needs a lot of care,  pretty much 24/7. I had an emergency respite nurse come in a couple of times a week to help with showers etc.

In the 14 years I have lived up here now,  mum and dad have never visited me here. Mum died 4 years ago of course. So it was a big thing for dad to agree to come up here to stay with me while my brother and his wife were taking a break. 

Thankfully no falls during his stay,  he has a tendency to topple over backwards. And importantly, no skin bumps or scrapes to get infected. Given he already has 3 toes amputated resulting from skin infections,  that was a big thing. So that was a relief. 

But he is very needy,  and needs to have most things done for him these days.  Even his hands are pretty useless,  poor man. Fingers and hands almost completely ceased up from severe arthritis. 

So it was stressful,  as I worried about him the whole time and restricted to home. And slept badly,  keeping a listen out for him all night in case he needed anything. 

So although it was nice to have him stay, it was also a relief when my brother arrived to collect him. ♥

Yes, I can see that it was both a big deal for him to come so far and stay a month, and a big deal for you to have him stay @Emelia8 . Well done for doing it for a whole month, it sounds tough. 

I hope meeting the possibly puppy goes well later this week...

@Emelia8  I seen a photo of your cute lil puppy! She looks too sweet! How long have you had her for? What breed is she?

Hi @Bow 💝

I have had Hannah for a week and a half now. She is a Cavoodle,  but looks more like her Cavalier KCS side than her toy Poodle side. She is only going to be small,  between 5-7kgs when fully grown. She is super sweet,  just perfect. ♥

She is way too young yet (will be only 12 weeks old on Monday) but I intend to train her up with MindDog as an official assistance dog. I am eligible to have one. They have to be 6 months before you can register them. Anyway thats my plan. So far,  she seems to have all the necessary attributes, so it looks promising. 

How are you today?  I have read up on your thread these past couple of days,  and saddened to see that you are struggling again. Is there an anniversary around now? I really hope you have adequate supports around you to help you through those truly difficult times.  I know I am not around much any more. But I do still care. ♥

IMG_20240126_232631.jpg

oh @Emelia8 i didnt know you got a puppy. i have heard cavoodles are energetic but very loving dogs. she sounds perfect for you. could i see a picture of her?

Hi there @outlander ♥

I only got Hannah Tuesday week ago. 😄

And yes,  she is full of beans,  the little sweetheart. 

I have posted a pic of her a couple of posts up. It should be up by now for you to see her. 🐶

Its hard to get a good photo coz she is such a little livewire. 😂

she is cute @Emelia8 she looks like she is abit of a mischief maker that keeps you on your toes lol. did you buy her from a breeder or find her at a rescue?

i forget the handful puppies can be lol but they do make life more entertaining!

Hannah is so sweet @Emelia8  and yea I think she looks more like a cavalier, I use to have a CKS but had to regime him when we moved from Tas to NsW. 

sorry for the delay in replying too! I have been meaning to reply for days!

Oops hit the post button too soon!

is there much training or other stuff involved in Hannah becoming a minddog? Is a mind dog more for you? Or do you go and take her places to see other people? Sorry not sure what’s involved. 

and yes I have had a trauma anniversary recently…. Last week actually. I guess still working through that and all the other stuff that happened afterwards. So not over yet. But my ED is not in a good place at the moment either so that further complicates things for me. I do have some good supports, I have an amazing support worker now who comes to a lot of my appointments with me and I see her most days. 

I hope you are doing ok? And that Hannah is filling your days with lots of love and joy. 

Yes @outlander , she is super cute, but is also a mischievious little minx.  Definitely keeps me on my toes!  I could not have done it without my successful spinal surgeries, that much I am certain of. I have been checking all the pounds and rescue orgs around the place for months, and nothing suitable has come up.  All too big or too old, and I notice that any that are younger they want over a $1000 for too. In the end I got her from a reputable breeder not far from where I live.  In fact right opposite the hospital where I spent all those months in the MH unit coming up 2 years ago.  So yes you are so right ... life is pretty full on with a young puppy, and very entertaining along with it.  But she is very adorable, and I love her to bits.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance