Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Millie93
New Contributor

Recently diagnosed with bipolar 2

Hi everyone, I live in a different country and I recently found this website via a local website.
I'm 23 and recently got diagnosed with bipolar about a mouth ago, I pushed and pushed for a year to be seen by someone because I knew it wasn't just depressed anymore. I have 2 kids and they are my world and I do it all on my own, my son has a sensory disorder and it makes life tough even with the meds. I don't have a lot of friends and I also don't know anyone who has these two things happening in there life's to talk to. I'm wondering if anyone who has been in this situation could offer some advice on how they coped, most days are ok but some days that irritation takes over and I feel so bad because I just want to help him and I can't 😞

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Recently diagnosed with bipolar 2

Hi @Millie93,

Welcome to the Forums. That's quite a heavy load you're carrying there - a new diagnosis, and caring for your son. 

I'm not family with sensory disorder, can you tell me a bit more about it? I can't think of anyone on here that has these two things, but I do know of other mums who have bipolar and care for children that you might want to connect with. @DIZ710 wrote this post on her life with bipolar and children. She might be able to share some advice about how she coped. And @sleepy_eyes78 wrote this post, about her life having bipolar, and children. Both have written about how they've overcome some huge hurdles. I wonder if they can share advice?

Hi @CherryBomb
So I've done a google to sum up Sometimes called sensory processing disorder or SPD, these issues happen because the brain has trouble organizing information from the senses. Children with sensory processing issues can be oversensitive to sights, sounds, textures, flavors, smells and other sensory input. My son has audio, movement and touch sensory problems witch means for him places like fairs or big events bother him, some nosies like music and to to loud, touch is a tough one in our house because lots of things have to be a certain way for his comfort, socks have to be seemless, he likes a blanket on most of time, and movement is more at school I haven't had that yet, but he's a super busy kid.... hope this explains
ThAnk you heaps I will check out these posts 🙂

Hi, Millie!

I was never in your situation but I understand what you've been going through since I know most of are going through different types of depressions of different levels.

I what I can advise to you is to at least have a healthy routine every day.

Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day and minimize napping especially if interferes your sleep at night, avoid stimulating activities like exercise during late hours, and avoid caffeine or alcohol as much as possible. 

I hope this could help you.

Hi @Take_me_as_i_am ....

This thread hasn’t been active for a while, but there is some advice posted here that may be helpful to you, and some links to other ones in CherryBomb’s post above.

💕

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance