Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

daisy20202-7
Senior Contributor

spend a small little bit of time with little sister and also hospitality industry

hi everyone

was wondering what would be easiest way to spend a little bit of time with the little sister (dont need alot at a time just a little) in a way that others wont get in the way.

she doesnt come up our way as much now due to schedules and dont have own space to party and entertain a people a little and starting to miss it a little and at the moment it seems that theres not really a place to have people over (including her).

what would be a good short/medium term solution without running short between pay days to run property as am not ready yet in dollars or trying to take a big loan without a 20% deposit so am not limited to what you can do to place.

also want to ask why so many people at the moment are leaving hospitality industry and new people arent applying just after some coronavirus restrictions get lifted.

can think of following (would that be about right)

1. a already busy industry thats known for short breaks and long hours has got busier with people holidaying home and can no longer cope.

2. being on job keeper has made people re-evaluate their work life balance and realise they can do better and being on that has given them the chance to do what they were thinking about for a while.

3. people have probably done it for 10-15-20 years and have probably had enough and the lockdowns and restrictions and burnout with people holidaying home and job keeper has probably pushed them out the door.

starting to get a little tired of hospitality as you dont get much of a break and its hard work and theres no work life balance and wondered if you are going to do something else wether it would be a good idea to follow a persons advice at mens shed and start to plan now even if you dont do anything anytime soon as itll probably take 5 years to get things up and running and dont think am going to last more than that in current industry and might be doing well to last that.

only hanging on because of the current owners, if they are still there in 5 years whats best way to talk to them about cutting that out and concentrating on other areas that they own without letting them down

4 REPLIES 4

Re: spend a small little bit of time with little sister and also hospitality industry

Hi @daisy20202-7 ,

Thank you for posting.

I've read your post a number of times, and wanted to clarify your questions. From your post, are you asking forum members:

- What is the best way to spend time with your sister who lives away from you because you can't live together?

- Why people in hospitality leave the industry during these times?

- Whether you should move to another industry (away from hospitality)?

- How can you speak to your boss about moving away from hospitality and starting another business?

I apologise if I don't fully understand, as ALL your questions here are valid.

Looking forward to brainstorming some solutions with you 🙂

Take Care,

BPDSurvivor

Re: spend a small little bit of time with little sister and also hospitality industry

Asking all questions just need answers by each question 

I go stood down from airport job in June, thankfully Disaster Recovery Payments are keeping my head above water. 

Hi @daisy20202-7 ,

I'll endeavour to provide a few insights for your questions. These are by no means THE answers - they are AN answer.

- What is the best way to spend time with your sister who lives away from you because you can't live together?

I live away from family in totally different suburbs, states, countries. I been wanting to visit my parents and a sister interstate but due to COVID, I have had 7 cancelled trips (otherwise I would be with them right now!) In order to stay in touch, we have a family group message where we post whatever is happening. Once every so often we talk via video, and other times, audio. This is making the best out of a difficult situation. I totally agree seeing someone f2f is completely different, but it's the best way for now.

- Why people in hospitality leave the industry during these times?

As much as the government is 'supporting' small businesses, these once-secure jobs are no longer secure. We always thought as long as there are people, they need to eat which means we need poeple in hospitality. However, lockdown after lockdown (here in Melb) means bread winners are no longer able to support their families. Hence, in these uncertain times, I believe people are turning to other industries. 

- Whether you should move to another industry (away from hospitality)?

No one can answer this one for you except yourself. As far as I'm concerned, a bit of creativity in any industry goes a long way. This is all about entreprenuership and having the courage to do things a bit...'differently' so that it works. 

- How can you speak to your boss about moving away from hospitality and starting another business?

I don't know your situation so it's a bit hard to answer this one. Would you be doing it as a worker or as a friend? Perhaps posing ideas is a good start. But I know who people who are comfortable and excellent in their profession find it hard to move out completely without strong assurance and support.

Upskilling or career change ideas can also help. 

Only a few ideas @daisy20202-7 . I know it is probably not as detailed or as comprehensive as you'd like. Sorry!

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance