Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Meowmy
Senior Contributor

Weight loss journey

I put on a lot of weight when started on some medication. From then it was hard to lose. I changed this weight gain medication. But after that I only lost a little bit of weight. Then I got older. I am now fifty. My knees developed arthritis. So I stopped training hard at the gym. Then I developed feet problems that I can no longer walk much. I tried to do star jumps and yoga. My weight did not come down but I put on more weight.

I bought feet arch support today and planning to go walking tomorrow morning.

Weight loss is mental, emotional and physical.

Hope I will get support from everyone.

Have a good evening.

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Weight loss journey

yes can be hard, I have been lifting weights of late and building mussell,..loving it..small steps grow into good things..I need to continue to take small steps in my life  

@Matt12 @greenpea  I find that when I put on a lot of weight, I really don’t like myself and don’t have much patience with myself to take small steps. I feel a bit out of control, piling on weight daily. I don’t even think I eat too much. I think may be just because of getting older and having arthritis and pains, it becomes harder to move and exercise. That adds up to piling on weight. I am at stage of new phase of life. So everything looks with new eyes. May be weight losing journey would be a bit different too. @Flying_Hams @eudemonism 

It can be hard @Meowmy, especially when you are focused on a specific goal weight. Find activities that are good for you with your arthritis and feet problems, have you tried aquaerobics? 

@Meowmy  Hi Meowmy  losing weight when you are on medication and over 50 is the pits I only know too well. Plus you have to live too. I refuse to be boring and not give myself a few treats everyday otherwise I might as well just give up. Walking has done it for me. I used to go to the gym but am not interested any more it is just not soothing for my mind. It reves me up and is a trigger for my psychosis. So walking it is :). 

Plus walking gives you the opportunity to say good morning to people so it is social and I can take in the views of where I walk. If you don't mind I will join you on your weightloss journey like I have with Qieenie as the more people involved the easier it is to be inspired to lose the weight :).

Love greenpea xxx 

@greenpea @Ali11 @Matt12 One hour morning walk can be a start to weight loss. I am hoping to do one more walk in the evening. I eat just the same. I think is the non activity recent days cause my weight gain plus medication. My feet held up with the arch support.

Thanks for care and support.

That's great to hear that your feet held up @Meowmy. Do you have a specific route you take on your walk or is wherever your feet lead you? 

@Meowmy as uncomfortable and confronting as medication induced weight gain is... + other nasty side effects... + comorbidity problems... they're not about to magically go away... so I've just got to accept them...

I have found life hard at my end, small steps do help me, progress is inportant the size does not matter..

@Matt12 @eudemonism I went for walk again today. @greenpea I am exercising to get my feet pains better . Small steps do count.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance