Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

@Adge, nasturtiums get knocked back by frost here, so they don't "naturalise" in the garden. I have at times let poppies self seed too enthusiastically, to the point where they drowned out other plants, but at least they don't clamber up trees. 😄 This year, I've been transplanting a lot of the self seeded plants to different locations, but I'm still needing to watch that the remaining ones don't smother my nice perennials.

Yesterday's efforts... some more weeds out, and a red flowered japonica that was crowding out my redcurrant bush cut down to ground level. Proceeds of both fed to happy chooks, bunnies and guinea pigs. Next job is that I need to gently stake up the floppy redcurrant stems so that I have some chance of putting mesh over it to keep the sparrows off. They love the redcurrants.

Have had wonderful gardener back in and some more cotoneasters have been removed.  A bit more running bamboo needs to be attended to before I can put in any replacement plants.  

Some more bulbs are flowering - think they might be sparaxis. The plants I initially thought were grape hyacinths are looking more like bluebells.

Picture is not overly clear but this is the bulb that is starting to flower that  I think is a scilla.

IMG_20190919_114926.jpg

very nice @Former-Member Heart

my little corner is getting more plants in there

soon i will have to find some bigger pots to repot them inSmiley LOL

IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMG_20180205_163203_756.jpg

IMG_20180205_162520.jpg

IMG_20180205_164039_308.jpg

IMG_20180205_163135_481.jpg

all these are in bloom again in my yard @Smc , @Adge , @Determined , @Appleblossom , @Former-Member ,

Looking good @Shaz51. 🙂

Very much looks like a Scilla @Former-Member. S. peruviana, I'd say. Comes in shades from mid blue to white.

I've relocated the chook pen this morning leaving behind a massive pile of scratched over weeds to mulch the garden with. 🙂 Am currently pulling up more weeds so that they've got bedding to scratch through in their new spot. It's reached that time of year when I'm racing to get them out before they send up flower heads.... the weeds that is, not the chooks. 😉

You can find any image on the internet...mheheehee!You can find any image on the internet...mheheehee!

@Smc  😀🐓🐔

Some of the more suitable replacement trees and plants I am considering include deciduous magnolia, orange blossom (philadelphis sp. - not choysia), viburnum opulus sterile, kerria Japonica, might even try peonies.

The fella next door ripped out a beautiful Magnolia as well as some roses. He was keen on his real estate and to make money and have it look clean and nice.

Today I planted out indigenous grasses at the zoo and replanted a carpet rose and lambs ears on my own property.  Same thing if one gets one's hands dirty. Dirts dirt.

I feel a bit bad getting the majority of the trees on our plot taken out @Appleblossom, most were likely self sown. There is a lovely big bottlebrush that will be staying 😀.

It's not as if you'll be leaving it empty @Former-Member. 🙂

Oooohh I'm aching.... the chooks had better appreciate the many bucketfuls of weed-bedding I gave them. 😛 And I'd better get on to getting plants into the spots I cleared. Bare soil starts to die...

The old lumbago (or plumbago as I call it 😀) often strikes after I have a gardening session @Smc.  Looking forward to raised veg beds. 

Neighbour got given some strawberry plants which were passed on immediately to me - needed to get some more pots to put them. 

@Former-Member, I'm considering the achy muscles as a sign that I am working towards regaining my fitness. 🙂 Gardening has to be one of the most pleasant forms of exercise around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance