Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Hopefully @Former-Member always nice to be able to eat fresh salad straight from the garden 

When I Grow Up Funny Quotes. QuotesGram

images (25).jpeg

Hi Peoples!
I've planted some more tomatoes, and some runner beans. I've shoved in the "uprights" for the second batch of tomatoes, need to get around to weaving in a top bar and lower down horizontals. 🙂
I've got Okra and Spaghetti Squash germinating, and some more zucchinis have come up too... seems most of the zucchini seeds were too old, but the ones that have managed to grow are good varieties. And there's parsnips up too, in an egg carton planter so they'll be easy to transplant.

Afternoon all.

Had an opportunity to giggle this morning when

S3 delightedly presented Darling with a fist full of not yet opened hippeastrum flowers.

Darling has been hanging out to see them open.

Oh well. It was the thought that counts.  He was so pleased with himself. 

Yikes @Determined  are there any bud left in situ?

Have had Mr Darcy's brother visiting. Yard has been whipper-snipped whilst Mr Darcy mowed and I got a bit of weeding done.

@Former-Member  - haven't been over this way for a bit so I've missed you ... @Shaz51 is very quiet at the moment

@Smc we just ripped out the last stragglers from the winter tomotoes because they were riddled with fruit fly... it is so much work keeping the fruit bagged up and the traps full that we're not even going to bother to try this summer.

runner beans have been bountiful, about to give way to the snake beans for summer... and the corn is as high as an elephants eye... started harvesting the first bed this week... second bed about 3 weeks away from harvest and third bed just gone in.

Pak choy, mizuna and dutch corn salad all going well... the cress has flowered and seeded and will now lie dormant over the hottest months. So many grubs to pick off after several weeks of constant moths and butteflies.... we use "scare moths" which work quite well but there have been so many about the last few weeks. 

We have had the best onions ever this year. Hunter River Brown... the size of baseballs and so sweet.

Mr S does all the gardening, I just do the processing. He is faffing about in the garden all day every day but it still doesn't make him tired enough to come to bed at a reasonable hour...

Much love,

S

@SJT63, my parents are far enough north to cop fruit fly. So glad we don't get them here. They make such a horrible mess of everything. We have had a lot of cabbage white moths around, but the only brassica growing at the moment is the kale.

The runner beans and tomatoes planted last week have settled in nicely. Haven't done much since because I've been under the weather, but I've just checked and I have more seeds up. 🙂 Spaghetti squash, melons, and some more tomatoes. My poor parsnip seedlings were looking a bit heat stressed, so I'm hoping the watering I've just given them helps.

First of the redcurrants are ripening. Yay!

Still a couple left @Former-Member  so not all is lost.

And darling has concluded they do look nice in the vase in the kitchen 

My cabbages have not developed hearts, think I got them in too late, cauliflowers are only leaf, no florets, can see one red onion with a good bulb on it, the fattest of the leeks is only around1 cm in diameter, hoping they will grow more. ☹️

Perhaps the summer veg will do better.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance