Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Denv12
Senior Contributor

Self Care for overall Wellbeing.Being responsible for out own health.

I've been ill for several years.I've been through experiences that helped me to improve my health.I spent the money and I know what helps and what doesnt.I'm going to share with you things that you can do to promote a healthier you.As we get older out stressors and lifestyles catch up with us.We start to gradually decline as we age.There are simple things you can do to get better to improve.Some things are free,other things you need to pay for.I'm sharing my experiences hoping that you can benefit from what I've learnt.

1)Get it diagnosed.Got a problem? Get it diagnosed.Find out what it is and what its name is.Everything has a name.Go home and research it.Join internet forums and groups catering for it.Be around other people who've got it too.You wont be on your own.Its a good move.Learn all about it.Others will be researching it too.

2)The 2nd thing to do no matter what is to deal with the body to heal.A chiropractic treatment will do the trick.Thats your starting point.You eliminate that factor.Get all your bones put back into place and its a great start to healing.The body works much better.Have it done a few times a year if you can.If you have xrays too taken them with you.If a chiro does muscle testing as part of their treatment its a bonus.Some chiros were trained overseas.They learnt techniques that the basic chiro didnt learn.

3)Kinesiologist.Pronounced Kinn-easy oll-oh-gist.Acupressure points are tested to determine where the weaknesses are in the body then they active those points.The more a Kinesiologist does during a treatment the better.If they expect you to do things during a treatment you got the wrong one.Shop around.

4)Lymphatic drainage.Another way to detox.Its a simple massage by massage therapists and Kinesiologists.It pushes toxins out the body.Very good for improving the human body.

5)Neuro Emotional Technique.Or NET for short.Get rid of emotional issues,start with the worst ones first.You get more bang for your buck.We've all had emotional issues in our lives,no one is immune from that.Traumatic experiemces can change us so we need to deal with that.The more emotional experiences you get rid of the better.Its a form of Kinesiology/muscle testing so it offers great healing power.I've got rid of most of mine and its worth every cent.You should be able to claim through private health cover too.

6)Pressure points.These are essential.If you run certain pressure points you get the healing affect on the body.Its very healthy.There are books you can buy/borrow and there are websites that show a list of a variety of symptoms.You then click on a symptom that you can relate to.That will show you a diagram of the human body and the various pressure points.You rub/massage those points.Do this twice a day and you will feel better you will also make some noticeable progress.Here are 2 books I bought:

a)Healing with pressure point thereapy.By Jack Forem.(it has a longer subtitle.)

2)Acupressure for emotional healing.By Michael Reed.

7)Cut out/cut back on salt.Salt/sodium is in most foods.You dont need to buy salt.You dont need to add salt.You get use to it and its much better if you cut back on it.If you eat bacon you can put hop tap water in a saucepan drop the bacon in it for 2 minutes.The water will go cloudy.Thats salt,etc.You drain the water and cook the bacon.Much better for you.

8)Cut back.cut out sugar.Yes,its another way to clean out the body.Its very healthy.I cut out sugar in 2006.Fresh fruit,fresh and frozen vegetables,fresh meats,etc are good.There's even a book on it:

"Sugar Shock! By Connie Bennett.Published around 2007.It might have been updated since then.

9)Cut back/cut out caffeine.With an anxiety disorder caffeine does affect disorder.You can either cut back to a decaf subsitute or eliminate it.Your choice.

10)Weight issues.This is a problem for some people.Being overweight to any degree is a problem.It needs to be dealt with the right way.There is an author by the name of Paul McKena who knows how to deal with weight issues the right way.He wrote a book on it and he did a 5 part tv series.You can download the tv series and you can buy/borrow a copy of his book:

a)I can make you thin.By Paul McKenna.

Those are some of the things you can do.They work for me.I spent a lot of money.I went to pain management,hypnotherapy,naturopaths,etc.Some things work,some dont.These suggestions will save you money.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Self Care for overall Wellbeing.Being responsible for out own health.

Thanks for sharing! Smiley Happy

I'm also a fan of acupuncture myself, and feel it has done some wonders. I really like the holistic approach you take in terms emotional, physical and psychological well-being. 

Speaking of which, I felt a bit of hesitation when I saw the book you mentioned, 'I Can Make You Thin' as I think the name overlooks the importance of having a healthy balanced approach to weight management.

I may just be completely judging a book by its cover (or its title) as I have not looked into it in that much depth. I did have a look at its content and watch a youtube video of Paul McKenna, and I can see some helpful strategies in terms of changing your thought processes.Though I was wondering if he goes into nutrition and how to have a balanced diet? And if so could you elaborate a bit more? I think a balanced and nutritional diet in combination with changing thoughts would be beneficial.

CB

I have never tried acupunture but I have had many experiences with the benefits of pressure point treatments from chiropractors,Kinesiologists and NET practitioners.

People need to be responsible for themselves.We all need to be responsible for everything in our own lives.That includes looking after ourselves and our nutritional needs too.Eating the right amount of foods,eating the right way and ensuring we dont have nutritional deficiencies are just common sense.We all have to be responsible for that.You only get out of life what you put into it.Some people just dont make an effort to look after themselves.That includes cutting back/cutting out some things if needed.

I would suggest people find a copy of Paul McKenna's tv show based on the book.You will see for yourself what he's doing.He's educating people to do the right things.If you dont feel comfortable with it at least be resonsible for yourself and look after yourself better.There are some people out there who dont look after themselves at all.

Hi Denv12

thanks for your detailed post about what you've found beneficial Smiley Happy

I agree a lot of time and money would have gone into establishing this list, and offering a guiding light to others attempting to navigate the system is useful...so thank you.

However, as I'm sure you would agree, what has worked for you may not work for everyone! As such this is what makes everybody's journey unique.

I'm wondering what you might have to say about your own journey, and how this has contributed to what you know today, and the value in that for you?

Look forward to your response Smiley Wink

My journey was forced upon me because a mongrel disorder changed my life.I didnt have the luxury of doing nothing.I looked like an old homesless guy in pain,in despair.Its not a disorder you devote to.Its something you get rid of.The disorder had to go.My decision to get rid of it paid off.That was my choice.

I provided information to share with people my experiences.You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink.Well,that speaks for itself.I dont expect people to follow in my footsteps.Its there if they want to look into.Its not essential.Its an individual choice.

Hey Cherry Bomb,

Just on the 'I Can Make You Thin' thing. It is very definitely just a title. Paul has a bunch of 'I can make you X' titles and is a bit of a full-tilt-boogie marketer so names his programs to SELL. Alas, claiming that you can "make someone thin" is an excellent sales strategy.

The actual process is very simple, very ecologically sound and extremely similar to the much less inflammatorily named "Intuitive Eating".Most of the affect is delivered via a hypnotic recording track which uses Ericksonian hypnosis and a variety of NLP perocesses. Like most recorded hypnosis it is only marginally effective and for best results needs to be listened to frequently.

The contents is all very supportive and healthy, not at all extreme as the title may imply.

I am a BIG fan because I have had disordered eating for the last 20 odd years and this is the only 'weight loss'  program I can follow without triggering myself back into a relapse.

In fact generally it improves my mood, confidence, state of mind, enthusiasm and motivation regardless of whether or not I am actively following the 'rules' for eating (which again are very supportive good things nothgin drastic or dangerous at all, and very close to Intuitive Eating).

Just wanted to chime in on that as the title is rather misleading.

I think I will look up this title in my local library as it sounds as though it might be available as an ebook..and mindful or intuitive eating has to be better than my sitting on my butt munching bickies and cheese...

Thank you for chiming in here.Your thoughts are similar to mine.

I knew about the tv series and his book.I didnt feel the need to justify it to anyone.The book and tv series speak volumes.The guy is a genius.

People can benefit.I'm not overweight.I saw the tv series and realised the guy knows what he's talking about.About a week ago I figured I'd buy a  copy of the book so I can show it to people.For around $10 its worth every cent.

Hi chookmojo,

Thanks so much for chimming in and going over what the strategies entail. Smiley Happy The information you provided gave me better understanding of what it's about and eased my hesitation. 

It sounds like it has some really helpful strategies that could benefit many people and I'm happy to hear that it's worked for you - on so many levels. 

CB

Re: Self Care for overall Wellbeing.Being responsible for our own health.

Hi CB.

I'm glad my experiences can help.It works for me so its something I've stuck to.Its my standards that I've maintained.Every day is a learning experience.

The things I do each day have given me a quality of life so I'm a lot better off.I might be a sufferer but I'm on the road to recovery.I'm bored most times despite having hobbies and interests at times.I like reading so I may as well take the time to learn things along the way.

Chris.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance