Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

LostAngel
Senior Contributor

Personal Reflections on Physical and Emotional self care

Hi Everyone just having a bit of a look at where my Health is both Emotionally and Physically at the momment ok so to start with I have started being more health concious recently about nutrician I guess the first step has been to take multivitamin Tablets once a day,although I know that taking tablets isnt good to soley rely on for health benefits,ok next thing Ive done is started to incorporate just a few healthy foods to my diet as I do tend to be a person that grabs a lot of takeaway as its at times more convenient than the thought of cooking a meal myself at times I think Im lazy for getting takeawy but ok the next more positive step Ive taken is to incorporate just a few healthier foods so iVE started to focus on getting breakfast foods that have more wholegrain content and less sugar,so been picking wholegrain type foods as well as fruits first of all bananas which to be honest I hadnt eaten Bananas in quite some time but did feel a boost in mood when eating this particular food,Im not a hundred percent sure but I thought Bananas do generally help with symptoms of depression although I might be wrong about that,the next thing Ive done is start to eat more salads and buy groceries rather than have takeaway too often so Ive cut down on takeawy food to once a week as a meal but making the exeption to grab just a takeawy drink instead such as a milkshake or Coffee or cold drink in order to keep fluids up ,Im increasing the amount of water that Im drinking as well so a mix of water while still having other drink choices from time to time,I am still eating sweets but as sparingly as possible,I do feel that My physical health has improoved with doing these steps,as for excercise though Im not currently excercising as much as I could be and as for sleep I tend to wake up very early in the morning but then go back to bed later in the morning so I guess I dont know about weather sleep is ok like that just cause I dont partically like waking up to early although my brain seems to think its time to get up so that could be anxiety or from the vitamins Im taking to feel the need to get up and go only to want to sleep again later,ok as for routine I guess Im making sure I have a shower wether I feel like it or not cause honestly taking showers can feel like that takes some energy to do but anyway, then I have a healthy breakfast drink water and take my vitamins every morning,as for emotional and physical health I realise the two are connected,In terms of emotional side of things Im finding these Forums helpfull Im trying my best to talk to random people throughout the day when Im out and about people at the shops,petrol stations ect just to have some social interaction also been keeping busy to help stop my thoughts from spiralling into negative,been trying to be more social with family and keep connections there although not all the time but am trying to improove boundaries and communication with those around me so thats where Im at for now and these forums have been a great way to deal with my emotional health as well so thank you all the best Lost AngelHeart

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Personal Reflections on Physical and Emotional self care

Sounds Huge @LostAngel 

Smiley Happy

Lots of good choices. I hope feeling better keeps up. My healthy meals are all low prep and simple. As you do it more, just keeping a bag of carrots and corn in fridge will help, or tomatoes, stick of celery and dip, whatever is your preference. It does not matter what the meal "looks like". If its easy and healthy, go for it. Its great when it becomes part of your habits.  I sometimes took a multi, but as time went on, I take supplements that are specific to me.  A multi is good start.

Smiley Happy

I remember when I gave up smoking cigarettes, the feeling better and breathing free, was a good motivation to keep it up, then learning about the sense of smell was great! 

Smiley Happy

Water, water, water.

Heart

Most important is your approach of self care.  No point turning diet into a whipping point.  Count all your wins.

Smiley Happy

thanks @Appleblossom sometimes self growth can seem a bit lonely thank you for the advice yes simple steps is what Ive found helpfull so far in terms of nutrician,Im glad you found the motivation to stop smoking well done!Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom  exercise is the big problem for me with my agoraphobia...

I always eat the same things for breakfast - it's gluten free cereal with lactose free milk or toast

I eat bananas and I take Vitamin C and Vitamin D

Hey @jamesle2015 

Good you found what works for you.  Over the years I have changed the particulars.  I have a lot of yohurt, nuts, fruit and oatmeal atm. Habit helps especially with breakfast and in the half waking state. 

Smiley Happy

@LostAngelA lady whose daughter is naturopath told me ... squeeze the bad out by gradually squeezing in the good.

Smiley Happy

This Morning Ive gotten so annoyed with the fact that I dont know many people outside of family that I started adding more friends online also my stomach is growling this morning even though I had breakfast ,had half as much cereal with milk than I did yesterday and no added sugar,about to take multi vitamin,frustrated about my social life 

Congratulations Lost Angel, you have just taken one giant step into the beggining of a whole new life  of good health.  Now all you need to do is take another giant step into exercise, physical and mental.  Physical excercise you would be familiar with, mental exercise not too many people bother with.    Mental exercise is changing the way you think, change  what you read ,watch, listen to and who you associate with. All these things have a bearing on your mental health.  If you take in rubbish ,you give out rubbish. Try to find people as friends who practice  good nutrician.exercise,and mental exercise and they will be a possitive support to you,then you will progress.  Good luck on your new journey,   jay2.

Thank You @jay2

'Mental exercise is changing the way you think, change what you read ,watch, listen to and who you associate with. All these things have a bearing on your mental health...'

the part about 'who you associate with' - this is a big problem ..

for those of us who go to work in an office or warehouse or retail or somewhere else...

we have no choice - we have to face our colleagues or we have to face our manager or supervisor - if these people are dodgy what can we do about it we can't tell them

to change their personality ......and this 'dodginess' must be constantly endured for years if we stay in the same job...anyone who has worked for years knows what I am talking about.....for some people are very lucky they may have a really good manager they can get along with they should be grateful............

for those people who have their own business they don't have to face manager that is one big advantage but I know they still have to face the customer which can be a big problem as well.....

that is the problem with life there are a lot of things you have to endure you can't choose if we had a choice things would be easier....

we can't choose our parents - we can't decide if they will be rich or poor whether they send us to an expensive private school or a public school.....some are 'given' a lot as their parents are rich others are not given much at all because their parents are 'rough' and had a hard life..i'm not saying that they shouldn't be grateful to their parent if they got an expensive school but it doesn't mean an 'expensive school' is everything sometimes it could be a bad experience for the person...some are adopted - sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad depending on your luck.........some have to grow up very fast otherwise they won't survive in this world ..........

I have heard stories of people from older generations that struggled through desperate poverty and through hard work made a successful life years later but not everyone is storng enough to do that

so life has many variables as you all probably know and have experienced or heard

@jay2replied to thread...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance