Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Schmick
New Contributor

Not handling life

Hi all,

I have anxiety and am finding almost everything hard to deal with atm. I have been to a councillor, who sent me to a psychologist and I attended sessions once a week for 4 months. I stopped due to fincincial issues.
I found out last year that I have a whole heap of back issues and have just recovered from a stress fracture to my spine (ironically, from exercising to get fit and stop my back pain). Because of my back I have had to go on a recover plan at work limiting my shifts because I can't stand for a whole shift. All attempts in the past year to find a job that supports my back conditions have been unsuccessful, or I have been rejected from. I am stressed for March because I won't be able to work enough to earn enough money to support my end of our income, which makes me feel guilty that my husband is working so much for us.

Now my husband and I have lost our apartment, moved back home with my parents, I can't afford psychology, and most of my time is put into exercising to get my back strong. I feel so angry. I am back at uni this week and unsure if I can handle the extra stress, but not attending one semester puts me back for another full year and I have to finsih uni before we can move to a cheaper state because where we currently live apartments are around the $450 to $500 per fortnight price. I feel like I have no energy to deal with anything else outside of these problems, and is making me feel like I am lacking empathy for friends and family.
I can't help but feel like I am failing, I feel guilty, like a burdon. I'm unsure where to start or what to do. Can anyone please offer some advice?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Not handling life

Hi @Schmick, welcome to the forum.

A lot happening and overwhelm. I relate from other times in my life. If you go to your GP you may be able to get some Medicare-subsidised psychology and/or psychiatrist help. I am able to get 20 subsidised psychology sessions per year on this scheme which I think is open to all Australians. During the pandemic, the government has put in extra funds to mental health, recognising that many more people are suffering mentally and emotionally.

Practical support for housing seems needed too. I do not know how you might access that, perhaps someone else on the forum reading your post in the next few days may have some ideas about it. 

In times of special need I have often turned to Google searches for community organisations, local government programs and other things. Often this has turned out the best for me of all as I've uncovered support I didn't even know was there.

May you find the real life support that will help. While continuing your search for this, the forums are at least a place to talk about things with others who may have experienced similar to what you are going through. Welcome again.

Re: Not handling life

@Schmick @Mazarita 

I agree with @Mazarita where you can ask your GP for a mental health plan for psychologists. The standard plan is 10 sessions per year, however due to COVID it was changed to 20 sessions, however there is no way of knowing if this will last.

You can also ask your GP for a Chronic Management Disease Plan otherwise known as an Enhanced Primary Care Program (ECP) which allows you 5 sessions rebated from Medicare for allied health professionals like osteopathy, exercise physiologist, chiropractor, Occupational Therapist amongst other professionals. This means that there is only a small amount out of pocket.

In relation to your studies, when I was discharged from hospital and 6 months later I wanted to go back to study there was no way I could cope so when I started the course I requested to study part time. Have a chat to the disability support services and the student services to help advocate for you for a lesser study load so you can cope and still complete the course. I studied two years part time, then one year full time and completed the course because I was able to do it at my pace and when I felt ready so I wasn't overwhelmed.

I can relate that you would feel angry. When I injured myself in a no fault motor vehicle accident I was always angry at everyone and everything because I wasn't able to do the things I used to. After 9 years it has been a very slow recovery with finding the right people and the right treatment that doesn't have any side affects to both my physical and mental health.

I have a desk job so it means that I sit in short time frames as my job is casual. However I'm able to move about as well. Keep looking for jobs that are suitable for you. I noticed that some employers are advertising work from home due to COVID restrictions.

I can relate to how exhausted you must be. Keep soldiering on and you will get there. It takes a lot of hard work, some tears and anger and frustration to get there. Whilst I'm still in recovery I'm travelling a lot better than 9 years ago.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance