Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Issues/things already worked through

@Flying_Hams Thanks, to you too.

@Owlunar @Flying_Hams I started on working on the true colours of my very controlling and unkind mother,although she was kind when I was very sick. That seemed to help, I called and chatted with a few friends I have not caught up for a long time. It went well and I felt happy.

Hi @Meowmy 

Good work on trying to find the real colours of your controlling mother - that's not easy but it will help you to see her more clearly and find reasons for her behaviour rather than just leave you with excuses

After my mother died I fell into hole - I did see a therapist but I also spoke to some elderly family members and also went to the the Canberra War Memorial to find out what I could about her father whom I had never met - this was very helpful

And yes - I found reasons - the excuses never worked but the reasons did - I forgave her for my own sake - not hers - I didn't want to carry her stuff around with me - who would?

So - with your mother having the early stages of dementia it will be difficult for you to manage the whole situation - as you have written - she gets grumpy - as this progresses she may be more accepting of her condition - maybe forget what is happening which is sad. Maybe she will be less grumpy - people with dementia can be okay - just forgetful

All the best Meowmy - this is a tough road for you - can you look into finding respite for yourself - you will manage better if you have a break from time to time

Dec

@Owlunar thanks for posting.That is very helpful. Although it is uncomfortable but I know that is the reality with my very dysfunctional family. I just can only take it day by day. I probably fall in a hole again due to my mother but I can climb out of it too.

Thanks again.

Well said @Meowmy 

Dysfunctional families are a problem - actually it was well into middle years that I realised my family was dysfunctional - but yes - we can and will fall into holes and we can and will crawl out of them

And we become who we are because of our families and in spite of them - I wrote a short novel about the Ugly Duckling's Mother and yes - I grew into a swan regardless of her and maybe an even better one than I would have done without her

Perhaps you are growing into a swan too - well - swans of a feather flock together

Dec

Hello - it's a great day to be a swanHello - it's a great day to be a swan

@Owlunar  It is so good talking to you. I just finished work and got home. After work, I did some grocery shopping and did not feel compelled to go home as I used to. I don’t have the urge to care for my mother the way I would like to be cared for.

I feel very hurt. But I am ok. Thanks so much for everyone on the forum, that I feel balanced to work through day by day, little by little. @greenpea @Faith-and-Hope 

I will take a walk on the beach and a coffee after shortly.

Thanks again for everyone care and support. It really make a difference.

@Owlunar I feel less obliged to care for my mother now. After all she said she will leave the house to my brother, so when he returns from interstate, I can may be slowly move out and distance myself.

My brother can look after her as he will inherit the house.

Somehow, I feel some sense of relief and freedom.

I need to do this slowly as I don’t want to go back to hospital. I hope I can get through this. It used to be I will become psychotic again and it starts again.

it is so hard.

So heartwarming to see the support for each other on these threads. Such a wonderful community here. Sending you strength and love @Meowmy, slowly does it, step by step Heart

@Owlunar I didn’t fall in a hole tonight at least.Still sane!

That makes sense @Meowmy  - caring for your mother then having her leave the house to your brother is unfair - 

Actually regardless of who cares for her and who lives interstate favouring one child in her will is strange - and not at all what I would do - but people do strange things when it comes to wills - 

Do they ever

And if you feel a sense of freedom knowing this and distancing yourself means you are doing the right thing for yourself - you don't want to become ill and go to hospital again - you seem to be caring for yourself in a healthy manner and you don't need anything to pull you back down again.

And I am glad you didn't fall into any holes last night - this is good news

I hope today you have the best day possible

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance