Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

lifeisstupid
Contributor

How to cope with major events like terrorism

I am writing this in dot points, it’s easier for me. 

- I have been struggling since Friday, since the incident in Melbourne cbd. 

- It has really kept my up at night 

- I get really scared 

-  These incidents feel like they are getting more and more common even though they aren’t really 

- It could be any one of us these people were just going about their day living peacefully when these lunatics come and hurt them for no reason 

- What’s next? If they can do all this stuff what will happen next? What if they blow up my house? Or my suburb? Is it safe to walk down the street anymore it seems like Bourke street is the target for these incidents does that mean i can’t walk down there without being scared of getting shot or stabbed or ran over 

- I’m not just scared for me I’m scared for the future like my new nephew will have to grow up into this world where there is all this fighting and people hurting innocent people 

- I know Melbourne is relatively safe in comparison to other places but doesn’t feel as safe as it used to 

- I keep getting myself worked up over it and freaking myself out over it 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to cope with major events like terrorism

@lifeisstupid I think watching what unfolded on 9/11 in Melbourne has been hard for everyone. Myself included. Mixtures of emotions including frustration, heartache, intolerance, fear etc. I wish I had some positive answers to your questions and concerns but like many I feel we could all be feeling and thinking the same. Your not alone on this.😢

Re: How to cope with major events like terrorism

I get distressed and depressed with these violent events plastered all over the tv all day. 

This link ink helped a little:

Coping With Traumatic News Footage:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-23/illustrated-guide-coping-traumatic-news/5985104

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance