Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

Have started cleaning out a back shed today. It's a job that's sat for way too long. The shed is in an awkward spot, so we don't use it. I want to relocate it just a little bit so that it will hopefully be more functional for us.

The contents weren't actually "ours" as such. It has things in it that belonged to the friend we bought the house from. We used some of what was in there with her permission, but sort of left the rest. Some of it we knew she wanted to collect, but mostly it was simply "out of sight, out of mind". Not helped by the assorted cartwheels our life has thrown in our direction. And she died a few years ago... so I guess what's left is now ours.

So finally starting to tackle it. Baby steps.

Pulled out a basket which turned out to be mainly propagating sand and rubbish. Rubbish gone, sand in a pot ready for me to use, rather nice basket set aside to clean down and do some small repairs.

Next, a square tray. Had a bag of fertiliser in it that I guess I'll just scatter around. Not something I'd usually use. I prefer manures. Another bag breaking into bits of seed raising mix. Totally dried out, so I picked out the plastic bag bits and tipped it into the worm bin. Once they've mixed it in to other stuff, it'll be fine on the garden. A few hose fittings, some chinaware oddments and jars. Some useful, others probably not. A bunch of seashells (nice... will keep those), and a fishing reel that seems to be totally seized up. If Hubby agrees that's the case, it goes in the bin.

There's some short bits of timber in there. If they're no use, they're firewood. Three bags of cement that, as well as being old, got soaked in flood water. A glass terrarium that might be worth bringing back into service, some tools and tool handles. And lots of little things that will be a mixture of "keep", "pass on" and "rubbish".

@Smc 

Off the starting blocks ... 🙌

We are continuing to make progress in relation to organising some of the smaller home maintainence and repair jobs that need to be done, today we rang the plumber and booked him in.  Mr Darcy is keen to get things done and I am trying to ensure that I don't become overwhelmed with too much happening at once but putting off jobs is not helpful either. It is lovely when progress is made and things are working/looking better.

Got some paper stuff sorted today. Am setting up a proper filing box for Mum and Dad's paperwork. Should have happened long ago, but I wasn't getting my head around it. Unwanted papers soaking in a bucket of water to feed the worms. 🙂

ABC news today had an online article about clutter-busting. It was pretty well balanced but challenging... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-27/the-psychology-of-clutter-how-to-tidy-home/11525246

To quote,

"...most of our possessions fall into one of two categories: memory clutter (the stuff that reminds you of an important person, achievement, or event from the past) or "I might need it one day" stuff (the things you hold onto in anticipation of an uncertain future).

To deal with this, you really have to dig below the stuff, to work out what the stuff represents."

Ummmm... I found that bit uncomfortably challenging. I'm perfectly happy with keeping memory clutter, within reason. I've got "might need it one day" stuff that we're keeping in the hope that at some stage our life comes out of a holding pattern. Again, I think that's OK for the most part. Don't want to give up too many hopes.

But here, when you "dig down", you find stuff that fits neither category, and is only there because there's been no time or space to deal with it. (Yeah, I keep coming back to that.) Going through those bits, I get reminders of what's been happening. I unconsciously flinched at the digging suggestion. Digging hurts. 😞

(Am feeling a bit down on the "hopes" side of things at the moment. There's a big pottery exhibition opening this weekend which I'm seeing publicity about everywhere, and it's bringing up feelings of having lost my place... I haven't got the heart to go to the exhibition, even though there's people I know involved in it.)

@Smc there can be a lot of grief that comes with the territory of letting stuff go of and of the hopes and dreams that they represent 😢.

Looking back I can see what a negative impact some of the stuff had on me, rather than inspiring me it became a constant reminder of what I thought may have been possible but was not ever going to happen.

The decluttering process for me was slow and a part of a bigger healing process. As I let go of what I was holding on to for no apparent reason or for what was definitely not going to be possible, it did hurt but this turned out to be temporary. It freed my mind to rekindle hopes that are possible, I found joy in what is.

I can understand why you don't feel as though you can go to the pottery event; I found garden club too hard after our crisis. Sending gentle thoughts your way.

@Smc 

Getting some paperwork sorted = 😀

Our job for the day was getting some things ready for collection on Monday.

Old hardened hoses, bits of rusty pipe and other rubbish left by the previous home owner were collected from around the yard and put in a pile for easy pick up. 

Ok @Former-Member @Smc  today is filing day - have put all the files and paperwork from whole house in lounge room and while MsS sleeps with headache I will slowly make order out of the paper mountain !!! 

Hoping the mountain has been reduced to a molehill @Sophie1 .

download.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance