Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

Continuing to make progress with the packing with another dedicated effort this afternoon. We were able to clear a lot of the clutter that I was beginning to find overwhelming.

images.jpg

Dare I ask how things are going @Faith-and-Hope 

Head firmly in the sand at the moment @Former-Member 

DF99E799-EC21-42BB-95B9-17A2A2B5E627.jpeg

Will take another look around when something definite emerges.  Everything is awash with maybe’s at the moment, and uni is underway again .... both kids now enrolled in the new semester 👍

@Faith-and-Hope ... thanks for update.

Trust the holiday unpacking going OK too.

It’s Summer gear @Former-Member so I have decided to leave it in the case for now.  Just zipped it back up, because it needs to be packed anyway, if we’re moving ..... so packed it is.

Screenshot_20190718-184139_Facebook.jpg

Heyo Peoples!

We got one trailer load of stuff packed off to the tip at Mum and Dad's. Not huge, but glad to see it gone. As someone who hates waste, I was seriously impressed with their local tip. They have suggestions online for reducing how much "landfill" you bring in by recycling or rehoming as much as possible. Once you get there, recyclables are free, green waste attracts a smaller charge than landfill, awkward things like tyres have a $ per tyre charge.

When you get to the landfill skip, one of their staff is there to help you unload, but also to redirect anything which isn't "landfill". Our trailerload was mostly fibreglass sheeting, and all of that was redirected to hard plastic recycling bin, along with some old flowerpots. Another item went into the tip shop pile, so most of what got "tossed" was old chipboard and garden hoses that were genuinely beyond any conceivable use.

Pulling out the rubbish gave me a better look at what's around the yard. There will be more landfill trips, but unfortunately, with their sheds and house all being clad in asbestos cement sheet, there's a small stash of extra sheets that Dad kept around for repairs. We can't take that to the tip. Whoever eventually buys the place will have to bring in asbestos disposal contractors anyway, so we'll be putting any loose pieces in a neat stack next to the shed for them to deal with.

Despite the place being so overful, I'm very appreciative of the fact that Dad was orderly in how he stored things. We needed some gasket paper for some minor car repairs while we were there. We found some within a couple of minutes in Dad's shed, mostly by thinking through what would be a logical place to store it. 🙂

I was meant to have surgery yesterday,  but developed a bad head cold, so cancelled. Same as nesting, I felt the urge to sort out my bedroom the night before.....started, knowing I in my heart that I was going nowhere, but made some leeway. I realize that I wasn't meant to go to the hospital and return to unfinished business enmass. Relieved for reprieve. Plan B......PS thankful to be here with all of you 😊

Thank you!

Op shop came today and collected items of furniture plus a couple of other items that we no longer need. They even took an old mattress which we thought was only tip-worthy.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance